AR18's - best amp?

Guest herringboy

Guest herringboy

I have just bought a pair of AR18B's the number on the back is AR18BV

I only paid $220.00 Australian dollars for hem (about 170US.

Can anyone tell me what they are worth they are in mint as new condition and I love the sound. I am using a Morount Short 60watt amp at the moment and have a Pioneer A400x on the way.

Any suggestions as to the best amp for these speakers really appreciated.

nearly sold them but after 1 week of listening fell in love with em.

cheers

Carl - Bunbury Western Australia

It is hard to say what the value of a good pair would be. The old farmer always said you get a good price for your horse, if you sell it when someone really wants it. Apparently, no one wanted the pair I purchased, as the foam surrounds were shot. Also replaced the 5-uF electrolytic capacitor with a metal-film cap. An ADCOM 5300 (80 W/channel into 8 Ohms) drives this pair quite nicely, although they can be driven by a somewhat larger amplifer. These are great sounding little speakers considering their size.

I believe AR designated these as model AR-18B. The "V" is part of the series/serial number.

Guest herringboy

Thanks John,

this is the first forum I have participated in so great to get an instant reply. These I have are in almost new condition so I a lucky I guess. Is the Adcom a high curent unit?

cheers

Carl

I love Adcom amps, they drive the classic AR's very well. I have an Adcom GFA-5400 driving my 8 ohm AR-2's, at 125 watts per channel. For your speakers, I would go with the GFA-5300, which is 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms. All Adcom amps are high current designs, using class A MOSFET transistors.

Guest Ken Perkins

Don't discount that Pioneer A400 amp yet. It's supposed to be a very good high current amp that was very similiar to the old Robertson 4010 from the 70's/80's out of Singapore. I had a 4010 for years and it was a VERY sweet amp with gobs of headroom.

Guest herringboy

Thanks - I am still waiting on the A400x coming back - I haven't heard one yet so I hope the problem is a small one - they are supposed to be quite unique in their sound.

>Thanks - I am still waiting on the A400x coming back - I

>haven't heard one yet so I hope the problem is a small one -

>they are supposed to be quite unique in their sound.

If you are referring to the A400x amplifier -- if I caught this thread correctly -- you would probably *not* want it to have a "unique" sound. It's bad enough that speakers have a "personality" of their own; you can only hope that the amplifiers do not add to or subtract from the signal source. "Neutral" is probably a better way to try to describe good amplifiers. On the other hand, you do want it to be stable into any load, have plenty of power and last a long time, and this seems to be the hallmark of some better amplifiers such as the Adcoms.

--Tom Tyson

Guest dogmeninreno

>Thanks - I am still waiting on the A400x coming back - I

>haven't heard one yet so I hope the problem is a small one -

>they are supposed to be quite unique in their sound.

I agree with Tom. I am using 2 Adcom 555 II's in a vertical bi-amp configuration with my AR9's. Plenty of headroom and cool operation on most levels. Dale

• 3 weeks later...
Guest herringboy

I haven't heard the Adcoms but just recieved a Luxman 103 hybrid (2 small output valves)that I bought and the soundstage seems wider on the AR18's with this amp than the Mordaunt-Short, but the MS has a lot more punch. The A400x is still on the bench!

The Luxman is interesting it seems to 'place' instruments and vocals differently to the MS and 'layers' the sound more, especially with harmonies. Does this make sense? I am still not sure whether I like it but a solid listening on the weekend will help.

thanks for the feedback

Cheers

Carl

Archived