Is this a real AR midrange?

Guest Pointwhere

Guest Pointwhere

Hey guys...

There is an auction on Ebay for some drivers I have never seen before. The owner claims that they are the new replacement AR3 midranges. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5709703018&rd=1

I have two questions regarding this driver.

1) Is this thing legit?

2) If so, will it work as a replacement driver for a AR303 speaker?

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks,

This is real AR driver, as rrcrain said. I would not use it in the 303, because it would change the voicing of the speaker. This driver was designed for the crossover points in AR-9 series, and would not function properly with the crossover points of the AR-3, 3a or 303.

Guest dogmeninreno

>Ok, so it would appear that the seller is misadvertising the

>driver. Thanks alot, I'll steer clear.

I have bought several replacement drivers from Larry (AR-PRO) and found him very helpful. I would suggest you ask the same question to him thru eBay. Let him defend his advertising??

Guest dogmeninreno

>>Ok, so it would appear that the seller is misadvertising

>the

>>driver. Thanks alot, I'll steer clear.

>

>I have bought several replacement drivers from Larry (AR-PRO)

>and found him very helpful. I would suggest you ask the same

>question to him thru eBay. Let him defend his advertising??

Correction, Vintage AR, I get em mixed up...Sorry

Guest Pointwhere

Ok, I'll get in touch with the guy. I was just worried it might have been one of those dealers who collect old gear and resell it without really knowing what they've got... Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

>Ok, I'll get in touch with the guy. I was just worried it

>might have been one of those dealers who collect old gear and

>resell it without really knowing what they've got... Thanks

>for the help.

Hi there

When I replaced my LST tweeters 10 years ago the new tweeters were back terminals, a foam faced plate (obviously to reduce reflection) and the dome is now showing a different mounting suspension. If I had been smartter I would have tried to track down older used tweeters to have the same sound. At the time it was suggested to use Vifa tweeters at around $20.00 cdn each and the OEM AR from AB-Tech, I believe was around $62.00 US Each.

Do the newer tweeters sound different? Do they handle as much power? Is the dispersion better? Are they more or less efficient? The answer is I don't know. I just have to live with my investment in drivers. I have seen the ads by Vintage-AR and he explains his background. I believe his story and I believe he wouldn't try to pull the wool over our eyes in this matter. If we must replace with the newer drivers I believe we must do it as as matched set. Heavens to betsy for 8 LST tweeters, but I think we would probably be aware of differences otherwise.

Archived