AR-5 / AR-2Ax Tweeter and Midrange

Guest baumgrenze

Guest baumgrenze

This is a new question which is linked with my previous post:

#4480, "AR-5's - Tweeter Replacement"

I now have my speakers back from the repair shop.

I took a $60 chance on the AR-5's at an estate sale. The deal also included a pair of AR-18's with bad foam. I bought the speakers because one of the AR-2Ax's I bought new in 1967 failed while I was watching the DVD version of "X-Men." There are dangerous audio tracks on that DVD. The woofer 'buzzes' at working volume. I can't see anything obviously wrong with it. It was constructed in the 'pre-foam' days so it is not troubled by rotten foam. Perhaps the voice coil is rattling against the magnet because the spider was overstressed.

As I looked at what I have, I asked myself the question, 'just how different are the tweeter and mid-range in the AR-2Ax from those in the AR-5?' Can I just swap them?

Thanks,

John

Guest Pointwhere

It is my understanding that the tweeter from the AR5 is the same one used in the 2ax. The midranges however, are quite different. So I would say you can swap the tweeters, but not the mids, unless you are willing to make some kind of change to your speaker.

Send the woofer to Bill Miller at Millersound. He specializes in AR woofers. All you did is break the spider off of the frame. I did the same thing. Its funny, the spider usually just falls off, because the glue is so dry. Actually, send both woofers, then they will both be good for another 40 years!

Millersound

1422 Taylor Road

Lansdale PA 19446

Phone (215) 412-7700

Fax (215) 412-0542

He does great work, at great prices!

Archived