AR 5's

Guest Randy O

Guest Randy O

Just found this site and what a wealth of info. Having tired of my black plastic stereo equipment, I decided to step it up and go back to where it all began for me. Long gone are the AR3a's and Phase Linears. My starting point is a pr of AR4x and AR5. The 4x work fine but one of the 5's has grill cut out, no insulation, and some type of unknown damage. Long story with curious nephew. Anyway these speakers have been stored since 76. I was wondering why nobody seems to talk about rebuilding the 5's? I always liked them and they just seemed like the poor man's version of the 3a. Never being inside of these speakers, I was wondering the ease of working on them for a rookie or am I better off leaving it to someone with experience?

Guest dogmeninreno

I personally have rebuilt and restored several sets of AR5's. They are very good speakers. Working on them is a little time consuming but worth the extra effort. Are the drivers all in working shape? The filler can be replaced but if you can get the original, many say it is better. I have used acoustic fiberglass from Home Depot and cannot tell any difference. Be sure and tear it like the original to leave some voids. The quanity is important so if you remove the filler from any of the speakers, put it in a box or paper grocery bag so that it is returned as it was removed. There is a post on this forum that deals with the amount of fill per chbic foot of enclosure void as I recall. Be sure and seal the drivers and clean&lubricate the pots. I use automotive dielectric grease (used in ignition systems) after I remove, dissasemble and using contact cleaner (electronic type not electrical type) clean the wiper and contact surfaces with the cleaner and a dremmel tool with a wire brush attachment. Good luck!! Dale

Archived