AR 7

Guest cdenyer

Guest cdenyer

Found this great forum when I was researching a pair of AR 7's that were selling on Ebay here in Australia. Ended up buying them and I love them, what a great speaker for the size.

They now perform 2 channel duties with my Sonic Frontiers SFC-1 Tube Amp and sound a treat.

Does anyone know their sensitivity? I am guessing around 88-89 db, but have been unable to confirm.

Interesting to read in this forum about the famous Julian Hirsch having a pr wall mounted in his lab for years. A solid recommendation.

Chris

Guest dogmeninreno

Here is a copy of the AR7 brocure which is on this forum. I don't see that it will answer your question re sound pressure levels but I thought you might want a copy. Dale

175.txt

176.txt

>Found this great forum when I was researching a pair of AR

>7's that were selling on Ebay here in Australia. Ended up

>buying them and I love them, what a great speaker for the

>size.

>

>They now perform 2 channel duties with my Sonic Frontiers

>SFC-1 Tube Amp and sound a treat.

>

>Does anyone know their sensitivity? I am guessing around 88-89

>db, but have been unable to confirm.

>

>Interesting to read in this forum about the famous Julian

>Hirsch having a pr wall mounted in his lab for years. A solid

>recommendation.

>

Chris,

If your amplifier can produce 15-20 watts/ch rms, 20-20kHz, into the AR-7, you should have no problem in most average-sized rooms. AR recommended a minimum of 15 watts/ch for this speaker, but more than that (probably at least 25 watts/ch) is desirable. CBS Labs, a part of *High Fidelity* magazine's equipment-testing service, found that it took 4.5 watts to produce "the standard output of 94 dB" at one meter on axis. They tested the speaker with 100 watts on a steady-state basis (they did not describe the actual signal into the speaker, but one assumes pink noise), and could handle 504 peak watts to produce an output of 111 dB, but with some distortion. Obviously you would not want to test one today to that level, but it does show the robustness of the AR-7. *Audio,* *Stereo Review* and *High Fidelity* all praised the AR-7 for its outstanding on- and off-axis frequency response, bass extension for a speaker so small (11 lbs.) and such things as very low harmonic distortion and excellent transient response. These are all the hallmarks of a superior loudspeaker, and the AR-7 was one of the best speakers ever in that size and price category.

--Tom Tyson

Archived