AR 9 Accoustic Obsorbent Materials

Guest dean128

Guest dean128

I have a pair of AR9 ( original version ) and wondering why the woofers chamber does not have any accoustic obsorbent material ( glass fibre wool ) like other model such as AR91, AR92.

Also, why does the mid-range and tweeter of the AR9 were not supplied with covering foams like AR90, AR91 and AR92

Moreover, what is the main difference, especially in the cross-over design between AR9 and AR9LS.

Thanks & look forward to see your posts

Dean

Guest dogmeninreno

Dean, I think I answered your questions on the for sale forum. I gave you several links and a page from Tim Hall on why no filler is used behind the woofers. Dale

Guest Nigel

>Moreover, what is the main difference, especially in the

>cross-over design between AR9 and AR9LS.

Dean

About $50 in parts per speaker, the LS being MUCH cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Brian_D

With regards to the "covering foams" you mention:

Some AR9's got them, some did not.

This is a mystery to us here at the site. It seems there is no ryme or reason to which AR9 speakers got the foam around the drivers and which did not.

Mine, for example, are completely original, and both the tweeters and the upper mids have the foam around the drivers.

A majority of those I see for sale, however, do not.

I've speculated that if a driver must be serviced, perhaps the original foam was destroyed in removal, and then all the others were removed to "match" but that seems unlikely. (This is obvious in some cases, where the small piece of hook and loop tape is stuck)

-Brian

Archived