AR 5's Singing with Roy's Help

Shacky

I've been working on a pair of AR 5's for some time. Picked them up over a year ago. Decided to just refoam and listen before beginning recap. I didn't even look at crossover or pots which was a mistake. They sounded like @$$ and it took me finally getting to recap them before realizing why. Someone had jumpered the pots and the tweeters while "working" were really toast. Note the orange wires from base to #1 terminals on pots. For those of you trying to get old pots working, don't do this:

IMGP3911.jpg

So after trying some 2AX tweeters I had that weren't much better, I took Roy's advice and went with the HiVi tweeters. These are worth every penny. I struggled with the original pots and ended up using set of L-Pads I had on hand and inserted the Dayton 25 OHM resistors on front panel.

A little messy with the caps. I used Dayton 60+12 caps for woofer, Dayton 24 for mid and Solen 3.9 for tweeter. Here's a shot before I went to L-Pads - and this still shows the green jumpers on the other speaker's pots:

IMGP3933.jpg

And here's the completed speaker. Roy walked me through the HiVi setup. I used 0.1 coil. These sound great!! And to think how bad they sounded when I got them, this has been a very worthwhile journey. And thanks to Roy for making it come together! Now I need to put new cloth on grills and order new badges from Larry.

IMGP3962.jpg

"and order new badges from Larry.

I didn't know they made badges that said "2/3 AR"

Sorry, couldn't resist. Great job! :)

Shacky,

Appreciate the chronicling of your AR5 work as I'm on a similar journey. Got my 5's last fall and I'll bet you a dollar to a donut they sounded worse than yours, but the many praises out there for these speaks spurred me to give 'em a try.

Keep on hearing about well those Hi-Vi tweeters work out, may have to lay in a set instead of trying to find some originals for spare stock.

A question: Did you replace the stuffing?

Shacky,

Appreciate the chronicling of your AR5 work as I'm on a similar journey. Got my 5's last fall and I'll bet you a dollar to a donut they sounded worse than yours, but the many praises out there for these speaks spurred me to give 'em a try.

Keep on hearing about well those Hi-Vi tweeters work out, may have to lay in a set instead of trying to find some originals for spare stock.

A question: Did you replace the stuffing?

I reused original stuffing. 20 - 21 oz was what I measured.

Archived