magnet storage

ra.ra

In the process of trying to organize and tidy up one of my workspaces, it occurred to me that I really don't know any best way to store surplus drivers. At least for now, I have tried to hold matching pairs together with twist ties after first protecting domes, cones and surrounds (using loose felts, small squares of bubblewrap or foamcore).

The pics attached show tweeters only but I imagine a similar case could be made for woofers. Is this a suitable method for longer term storage, and are there methods of storage that are potentially harmful to preserving the usefulness of stored drivers? Mostly, I am concerned about the magnets, and not wanting to situate adjacent drivers in a manner that might have a detrimental effect over time, if that's even possible.

post-112624-0-06340200-1380498868_thumb. post-112624-0-77491300-1380498880_thumb. post-112624-0-03143400-1380498893_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

What you are doing will have no effect on the magnets.

Some magnet materials will corrode; keeping them dry will slow this; vacuum sealed in plastic bags with desiccant inside will help.

Ferrite magnets are extremely stable, and basically don't care.

Thanks for the reassuring comment, Nigel. I try to take great care in being sure to protect the front side of the drivers (cone, dome, surround, delicate wires .... whatever), but it was unclear to me if magnet positions might have any adverse effects. So, if storing a pair of drivers face-to-face is OK, how about placing adjacent pairs butt-to-butt as in attached photo (pairs separated here by AR wax block capacitors)? Is this still alright?

post-112624-0-02173800-1382915378_thumb.

Archived