AR-3a Improved

mike tarelli

Since wiring the mids on my AR-3a improved correctly I have noticed more detail. Unfortunately the sound is coarser. If I use the switch it mellows a little but reduces the tweeter output as it is a DPDT switch. The very similar AR -11 has separate and greater control in this area. If I reverse the polarity on the mids again does it merely make them quieter allowing me to switch the tweeter back up? Is it that simple or am I losing something ? Thanks. Mike.

Since wiring the mids on my AR-3a improved correctly I have noticed more detail. Unfortunately the sound is coarser. If I use the switch it mellows a little but reduces the tweeter output as it is a DPDT switch. The very similar AR -11 has separate and greater control in this area. If I reverse the polarity on the mids again does it merely make them quieter allowing me to switch the tweeter back up? Is it that simple or am I losing something ? Thanks. Mike.

Hi Mike

Have you studied the crossover?

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...-1204644282.jpg

Reversing the polarity on the mids does not make the quieter but - reverses the polarity. If you want independant adjustment, you could make a seperate switch for the mid or even better leave the switch in high posistion and install an increased resistance in front of the midrange to your liking (the 1 Ohm on the schematic).

BRgds Klaus

Hi Mike

Have you studied the crossover?

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...-1204644282.jpg

Reversing the polarity on the mids does not make the quieter but - reverses the polarity. If you want independant adjustment, you could make a seperate switch for the mid or even better leave the switch in high posistion and install an increased resistance in front of the midrange to your liking (the 1 Ohm on the schematic).

BRgds Klaus

Hi Klaus

Yes the schematic was how I realised the mids were incorrectly wired and had been for years! Correcting this seemed to

increase their output but harden the sound. My units are rear wired so I assume I would wire the resistor(would that be

10 ohm? ) in series on the green ( plus ) lead? What worries me is that I don't ever remember 3a improveds ever sounding

harsh and my hearing was much younger! Thanks for answering.Mike.

My units are rear wired so I assume I would wire the resistor(would that be

10 ohm? ) in series on the green ( plus ) lead?

Hi Mike

I would try increasing the Rz maybe to 2 or 3 Ohm, I would not place it on the green wire, that would interfere with the cross over frequencies.

BRgds Klaus

Hi Mike

I would try increasing the Rz maybe to 2 or 3 Ohm, I would not place it on the green wire, that would interfere with the cross over frequencies.

BRgds Klaus

Hi Klaus

Ah that resistor R2 ! I was looking at R3! Sorry out of my depth here. I'm afraid I don't know how to do that or even where it is. Mike.

Hi Mike

Sorry, you're right R2 not Rz. My set of AR3 Improved sounds absolutely magnificient, in fact those are the speakers I listen to the most.

May be it is time to think about replacing the caps?

The R2 resistor is here (in the red circle):

BRgds Klaus

post-101646-1264857758.jpg

Hi Mike

Sorry, you're right R2 not Rz. My set of AR3 Improved sounds absolutely magnificient, in fact those are the speakers I listen to the most.

May be it is time to think about replacing the caps?

The R2 resistor is here (in the red circle):

BRgds Klaus

Hi Klaus

Thanks that makes it very clear. I expect you're right about the caps though that does seem daunting. I agree about the improveds . When the shops were full of ARs they were always my favourites. Thanks again for your time and help. Mike.

Archived