AR TSW810 tweeter problem

Guest seanhfd

Guest seanhfd

I'm a newby so hopefully I am handling the protocol correctly. I am looking for a replacement 1" domed, liquid cooled tweeter, for one (1) of my AR TSW-810 speakers. I bought them new in the 80's along with their older brother the TSW-910's. My wife finally forced me to sell one of the pairs in the early 90's. She was freaking out because we had 400 lbs of speakers in a 1-bedroom apartment. Personally I thought they were fabulous! Now my kids want me to refurbish them. I have re-foamed the mid-range and woofers, but after I fried the original set of tweeters, which were subsequesntly replaced by AR in 1991, I must have fried one of the remaining replacements. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

>It's close but it looks like a retro fit version.<

Thanks for coming-back and telling me that. I thought maybe that TSW driver was original because it has "AR" molded into the plastic. That's a decent indicator for some drivers.

Bret

Guest seanhfd

There are two different tweeters on the page, both referring to the TSW series. The one on the top looks more like the original, with a protective "cross" over the cone and AR "Hydrogen Fired Titanium" logo. The one below is supposed to be specifically for the TSW 810's & 910's, but this doesn't seem to be original. Mine looks more like the top one but does not have the logo. Thanks for the follow-up.

Hi, Sean

Is your TSW-810 tweeter has a single magnet with single cross clear acoustic lens? The TSW-910 tweeter has double backed magnets and clear double cross with donut lens in between. Both of these tweeters were made by MB Quart of Germany for AR. Post or email me close up pictures of the front and back of your 810 tweeter and hopefully I can find out some info for you?

Minh Luong

mluong303@aol.com

The one below looks like for the MGC-2 rather than for TSW 810/910.

William

>There are two different tweeters on the page, both referring

>to the TSW series. The one on the top looks more like the

>original, with a protective "cross" over the cone

>and AR "Hydrogen Fired Titanium" logo. The one below

>is supposed to be specifically for the TSW 810's & 910's,

>but this doesn't seem to be original. Mine looks more like the

>top one but does not have the logo. Thanks for the follow-up.

Guest seanhfd

Hi Ming,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have attached the pictures of a front, back and side view of the tweeter. The sticker on the back reads SERVICE REPLACEMENT UNIT for further exchange the original Purchase Bill of Sale required. Made in West Germany. This is a double magnet unit, as you can see, and you must be correct about the manufacturer also. This is the replacement unit that i had ordered directly from AR after I blew the original set. Any help locating would be apprecaited. Thanks.

post-101776-1141402699.jpg

post-3-1141402699.jpg

1075.txt

post-3-1141402700.jpg

Hi Sean

Thanks for the pictures, unfortunately the tweeter in your ARTSW 810 had been changed to a service replacement unit of the AR TSW 910 at some point. So I really can not verify if the original AR TSW 810 used the single magnet tweeter when they first came out? I had tried to find out info about the MB Quart tweeters for you in the past few days and seems like MB Quart had been Belly Up which I didn't know until now! So I guess the only source will be AB Tech Services for the OEM replacement or just try eBay but I am afraid you will end up waiting forever since AR TSW 810 and 910 speakers are very rare and the tweeters had been blown often due to the owners hook up to low power receivers/amps and try to crank up loud to show off during demo to friends!

Minh Luong

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1091.jpg

post-101112-1141488665.jpg

Guest seanhfd

I really apprecaite the info. i will contact AB Tech and order the replacement. The original P-10 power amp, that came with the original system purchase, still powers these speakers. I only need to open it up to about 33% volume for maximum sound. That is about as much as I need. If I can only keep my sons away from the vintage equipment it would be a help. Thanks.

Sean

• 3 weeks later...

Archived