Blown New Advent driver

Edzll

6 minutes ago, Pete B said:

Do NOT substitute for the original woofer which was an excellent design.

Get another square or round magnet original type, if you go with a round magnet it would be

better but not required to get two.

A square one WILL come up on ebay, wait and you WILL fine one.

Analogman is giving you bad advice.

Thanks Pete; I'm a babe in the woods here. And thanks Analogman too - I'll assume your advice is given in good faith; but on the precautionary principle I'll assume Pete's is safer - especially as one of those websites seemed to wreak havoc with my computer, requiring a total shutdown - but maybe it was some clumsy key-combo I hit ???

Pete, are you saying don't pair a square-magnet "original" Advent woofer with a round one? That would be my own uneducated strategy. I guess I should go with your suggestion & monitor ebay unless something else shows up meantime.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't pair a round and a square because I know that the motor geometry is different

but, it would sound better than any other odd ball woofer you might throw in there.

NLA square magnet woofers are common, give it a few weeks, one will come up.

15 hours ago, Pete B said:

Do NOT substitute for the original woofer which was an excellent design.

Get another square or round magnet original type, if you go with a round magnet it would be

better but not required to get two.

A square one WILL come up on ebay, wait and you WILL fine one.

Analogman is giving you bad advice.

A Jensen Advent Legacy woofer will drop right though the hole for an NLA woofer,  I have a

Legacy woofer in my hand and just tried it.

I am the author of this web page and the early and late 5002/5012 are mentioned:

http://baselaudiolab.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html

I suggested that the hole diameters be verified

The advice that I dispensed here was excellent from my point of view and in this particular situation fits the bill perfectly

He wants to get his speakers working so he can listen to Music AND for as little money as is possible

Capeesh?

I sent you a PM getting a little more specific

Craig

15 hours ago, Pete B said:

I wouldn't pair a round and a square because I know that the motor geometry is different

but, it would sound better than any other odd ball woofer you might throw in there.

NLA square magnet woofers are common, give it a few weeks, one will come up.

Magnet shape is irrelevant 

15 hours ago, Edzll said:

Thanks Pete; I'm a babe in the woods here. And thanks Analogman too - I'll assume your advice is given in good faith; but on the precautionary principle I'll assume Pete's is safer - especially as one of those websites seemed to wreak havoc with my computer, requiring a total shutdown - but maybe it was some clumsy key-combo I hit ???

Pete, are you saying don't pair a square-magnet "original" Advent woofer with a round one? That would be my own uneducated strategy. I guess I should go with your suggestion & monitor ebay unless something else shows up meantime.

Yeah, Parts Express and ePay are real danger zones for browsing

AND you are correct, you probably are better off listening to "Pete" because at this rate you're not going to be listening to a PAIR of anything anytime soon, so it may as well be "Pete" in the meantime - this "conversation" has been going on for 2+ months now

Good luck getting your "Advents" going

Craig

1 hour ago, Analogman said:

Magnet shape is irrelevant 

OK genius, I use the shape to indicate real Advent woofer or a Jensen woofer, they do

perform similarly but the motor geometry is very different.

1 hour ago, Analogman said:

So what?  It has nothing to do with the model "Advents" up for discussion 

It covers, OLA, NLA, and Jensen 5002/12 and I discuss the woofers used, 

your statement is wrong.  I've said all I have to say, go ahead and take over

the thread.

33 minutes ago, Pete B said:

I've said all I have to say, go ahead and take over the thread.

Yes I'm fed up with the arrogant nonsense too.

Pete, I tried to message you but that didn't work. Can you confirm (message me?) that the square-magnet drivers are "original" Advent and the rounds were made by Jensen. If the point was made before, I missed it. I guess  it would mean the squares are older & explain why they're harder to find. Even the other drivers I do find can be asking $70 just for postage.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:10 PM, Pete B said:

Yes, square is older but they made 100s of thousands one WILL come up.

I agree, Pete.

I've also used the round magnet, large diameter framed woofer as a replacement in a number of Large Advents originally equipped with the square magnet woofer, and any sonic differences seemed insignificant during brief listening tests. They are interchangeable for the most part. I also agree that the cabinet hole for these woofers is too large for a modern conventional size 10 inch woofer, including the woofer used in the later Advent Legacy and some other Jensen era Advent models (such as The Maestro).

According to the owner of a local stereo repair shop for which I do speaker repairs, the large frame, round magnet version became the "service replacement" woofer for all earlier Advents originally equipped with the square magnet woofer. This shop has been in business for 45 years, and was an authorized service center for Advent through the Jensen era.

Roy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For the record; my woofer is working again. I hadn't realized how much the cone was detached from the foam surround, or that nothing else keeps the voice coil centered. I guess the rattle I heard was the coil flailing against its enclosure - a sound once heard, unlikely ever to be forgotten. I'm a bit surprised now, that nobody zeroed in on that when I described it.

*Bay has been a bust. The very occasional unit that came up and might have been OK was only offered by someone who wouldn't accept any contact. Didn't much matter because their ads all said they wouldn't ship outside USA.

Doubtless the coil is somewhat damaged; there is some reddish-brown material around the top, that looks to have been partly melted. I couldn't detect any of the notorious 'burnt copper' smell. So I very carefully re-centered and re-foamed it and lo! it sounds OK. No rattling, scraping, scratchiness etc, etc. If there's distortion I'm not hearing it. We'll see whether - or how long - it will keep sounding good. The foam surround I bought online was very flimsy compared to the original so I re-used that. It was a bit abused by then but the glue that came with the repair kit did a good job on it.

Thanks to all who offered information & advice.

Glad to read they are back up and running. Always look at the simplest things first. When you fired them up with the YouTube video at high listening level it must of blown the weak surround. Your other woofer may no be too far behind. Enjoy them.

Larry

Hi Larry. Thanks for the warning. Yes the other unit was also partly separated but I was able to re-glue just the part that was gapped. Do you have any comments about (experience of) what I took to be the partly-melted stuff at the top of the coil? I didn't have the dust cap off the second driver so don't know how that one looked - or what would be normal. It IS nice to have my stereo back. My attachment to these Advents is quite sentimental. They've been my first and only 'good' speakers for more than 40 years. My pal & I had days of fun at the time, lugging home speaker sets from the local  audio store and comparing them with his ???'s as reference. Don't know if you could still do that! It was in a small friendly town.

They won't be played louder than I can comfortably hear when I'm in the same room with them. When a neighbor has a noisy boombox going on what should be a quiet summer Sunday I've often thought of opening the door and cranking them up, with music I'm sure he'd despise - but I've never done it. Now I won't even think about it :). But I will take them to my son's place and put them inverted on top of his identical set,  just to see how that sounds.

Have a good summer.

Alexander,

I'm glad the speakers are working but you seem to fear they are on borrowed time. If, as you say, they are beautiful to look at, wonderful to hear, and have great sentimental value I would want to make sure they are in good shape.

I know Analogman became a bit argumentative but his advice to phone Bill LeGall was sound. Bill is THE PREMIER speaker fixer and although he does not do international business, Canada is just next door and he may very well agree to fix your woofers. If that doesn't work out, try sending RoyC a PM. Roy has chimed in on this thread and he is a very experienced speaker repair guy. He may be able to bring your woofers back to their previous glory.

Kent

Thanks Kent (and 'argumentative' Craig) for the info about Bill Galt's & Roy's repair abilities. I'll keep it in mind for future reference. Meantime I have no way of knowing how long my set will keep performing or suit my needs. I'm an old guy and my hearing is slowly morphing into mis-hearing (so is my wife's - we have some hilarious conversations.) It may well be that the speakers will outlast me; maybe end up with someone who sends them to the dump because they're too old & big & clunky ! :(.

You need to leave a note in your will that if anybody so much as frays a single strand of grille cloth on those speakers, you will come back to haunt them for life.

:D

Doug

I already  told my son he'll be sorry he didn't properly copy his old man - mine are oak & his are walnut; they wouldn't look right sitting on top of each other - 5012o vs 5012w. Probably wouldn't even sound right!  :)

On 6/14/2018 at 6:49 PM, Edzll said:

I'm a bit surprised now, that nobody zeroed in on that when I described it.

Why would they?  Ah, but actually someone did, right out of the gate - Aadams

You stated in your second post to this thread that you had already addressed the foam on your woofers when suggested as a possible cause of your complaint by Aadams

IN THE FIRST POST TO THIS THREAD AFTER YOU STARTED IT FOUR MONTHS AGO

So, after all this palaver, the problem was a poorly done re-edge job - one done by yourself?

And you're throwing insults in my direction for making the mistake of trying to help you  

Gotta love it

Craig  

On 6/15/2018 at 6:51 AM, JKent said:

I know Analogman became a bit argumentative but his advice to phone Bill LeGall was sound. 

Kent

I haven't been argumentative about anything Kent.  If standing one's ground on points that one knows to be FACTS is "argumentative" to you or anyone else then so be it.

You have always been very kind and helpful towards me and I appreciate that. I have acknowledged and thanked you for it publicly on several occasions.  Same to be said about several other folks here as well.

But I am not a person that's going to just go along to get along when some folks are just talking nonsense, and or, spreading misinformation or insisting on things that just aren't so

This thread was a waste of time as the initial description of the issue was articulated horribly, right out of the gate, (and NOW we know, inaccurately)

The first post would have led anyone to believe the OP's situation was the result of a transient event (mode switching or whatever with the amp turned way up)

Craig

29 minutes ago, Analogman said:

And you're throwing insults in my direction for making the mistake of trying to help you  

:lol::D:lol:  Haha-ha-ha  Gotcha !!! Just argue it out among yourself.

Gotta love it

I Know you do  :rolleyes:.   Enjoy.

4 hours ago, Analogman said:

I haven't been argumentative about anything Kent.  If standing one's ground on points that one knows to be FACTS is "argumentative" to you or anyone else then so be it.

Sorry. No offense intended.

The trouble with written communication is that the reader can't hear your tone of voice or see your body language and facial expression. There's no give and take. Writing stuff on the 'net is fraught with dangers of misinterpretation. And although you may know the FACTS, "you can lead a horse to water . . . " Alexander may not feel the need to drink right now ;)

I don't believe Alexander, nor I, intended to throw any insults at you, but that's how it was received.

I do think we all could tone down the rhetoric just a bit. After all, this is just a hobby and a fun one at that. Mistakes will be made but that's how we learn.

-Kent 

• 7 months later...

I can tell you that MY JENSEN only used round donut shaped magnets, meaning that 1987/Up in all their product line. (Jensen/AR/Advent/Phase Linear/NHT)

I was employeed at the magnet manufacturing plant that Jensen owned.

23 minutes ago, NewVision250 said:

I can tell you that MY JENSEN only used round donut shaped magnets, meaning that 1987/Up in all their product line. (Jensen/AR/Advent/Phase Linear/NHT)

I was employeed at the magnet manufacturing plant that Jensen owned.

Any useful tidbits or stories, for posterity?

Archived