Those 5 grand AR3's sold.......

lakecat

52 minutes ago, jayrosc said:

Jeez...maybe I should clean up my one AR3A after all...

Although all of the older AR speakers are selling for more these days, the AR-3 (not 3a) is presently going for much higher prices than in the past. I agree with the above comments. 5 grand could be spent much more wisely. :rolleyes:

Roy

44 minutes ago, RoyC said:

Although all of the older AR speakers are selling for more these days, the AR-3 (not 3a) is presently going for much higher prices than in the past. I agree with the above comments. 5 grand could be spent much more wisely. :rolleyes:

Roy

Thanks for the input Roy. BTW, I live a stones throw from Woodstock NY, where Villchur spent time working on sound. We've all seen the pics of him and Roy Allison doing those outdoor concert comparisons between live acoustic instruments and his speakers. My AR3A may very well have come from his personal stock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2018 at 3:55 AM, genek said:

Some people have more money than common sense. I always hope there'll be one of them around whenever I want to sell something.

And now there are some AR-6 speakers for $1,740!

I had an interesting experience recently selling some AR-3 speakers for a friend.   These were SN C30345 and C30347 and I had rebuilt them; new Lpads, rebuilt midranges from Vintage AR and all new capacitors (film).  Everything else including the interior packing were original.  The cabs were walnut and in good shape for a 60 year old speaker.  I put them on Craig's List as Fleabay is far too weird and unpredictable for this guy.  I asked a $1000 and moved them out in less than a day - my goal was not to maximize the price I received but to get rid of the things. I have a set of AR-91s, which to my ears sound MUCH BETTER than the AR-3 so I had no interest in keeping the 3s.

The fellow who bought them was Vietnamese and was a "flipper", i.e. he bought speakers for resale into the Far East - specifically Vietnam. I told him of the $5,000 AR-3s and he informed me that the price would drop for such speakers as soon as the Lunar New Year was celebrated.  Evidently that holiday is very important in that region of the world - and there is a lot of gift giving during that period.  He also told me that AR speakers are EXTREMELY POPULAR in Vietnam - and in fact all over the far east.   The most important criteria in such speakers is their originality - even a tiny variation from "as built" destroys their value in that market.  It is critical to the Vietnamese that any speaker be as original as possible.  The interest in "vintage" speakers extends to Klipsch, JBL, Cerwin-Vega and almost all brands from the seventies - but ONLY from that era.  I have a set of AR-9s as well as the 91s and he wanted to buy both - but I did NOT want to sell those beauties as I enjoy hearing them myself.  He offered $800 for the 91s and $1000 for the Nines.

Granted this is but a single data point from a single perspective - but when I helped him load the 3s into his van I noticed that it was filled with speakers - all vintage of one stripe or another - including the infamous "Kabuki Style" speakers from Sansui, Kenwood and Pioneer.  This could be some kind of hangover from the war - where American servicemen bought loads of PX speakers - some of which were used in various bases throughout the country and no doubt heard by the locals - as they where all over every base filling a variety of roles.  The buyer informed me that listening to recorded music is very popular in Vietnam - as there are few other outlets for home entertainment.  

So perhaps Far Eastern consumption is driving much of the run up in prices for AR speakers?

• 2 weeks later...

3's are huge in Asia. Had a similar scenario as valkyrie's a few months back with a pair of 3's that I moved. They needed work that I didn't have time for so I put  a $800 price on them.  An hour after I had them on CL got an email from what turned out to be a Vietnamese fellow. When he came over he looked at them briefly, tried to talk me down(which I wouldn't do) and then took out 8 crisp, new $100 bills and that was that. Speaking to folks that I know that deal a lot with the Asian market vintage audio is bigger then ever over there. People are flush and all things vintage American is in high demand. Don't know if this is a bubble, but it certainly helps explain the prices being asked for some of this gear. 

Archived