Holographic Imaging Series M4

Nech

Hello From Montréal

I just bought a pair of AR M4 with a used  Denon sound system from 1990's era, and i will need to refurbished  both speaker boxes , one box seems ok, but the other one, dust cap on the upper bass-mid have problem and the bottom speaker sound really weird, a kind of distorsion and friction noise.

My questions are:

Anyone on this site have info on the parts numbers of the speaker, or replacement parts availlable somewhere, on my side i will remove the speaker from the box and check with a local shop who repair speaker if he can do something with them...

Thanks for your help on this little project

3 hours ago, Nech said:

on my side i will remove the speaker from the box and check with a local shop who repair speaker if he can do something with them...

The trouble with that approach is that sometimes local guys replace the drivers with ones that fit but are not correct, or tear out the original crossovers and replace (again, with something incorrect).

My advice would be to send the woofers to Bill LeGall at Millersound in Pennsylvania.

And what's wrong with the dust cap? Photos would help.

-Kent

the woofers down in the cab are pretty easy to refoam.  The holographic series (at least the M5 & 6) used film type caps that shouldn't need to be replaced in the mid/tweet circuits.  I've seen a few holographic series where the dust cap is missing...they're a very flexible rubber....not sure where to find a similar one.  most I've seen are cloth, paper, or hard plastic.

these were the only ones I could find

http://www.speakerrepairshop.nl/index.php?action=page&group_id=10000097&lang=en#.WlAbBXlG1WI

10 hours ago, JKent said:

The trouble with that approach is that sometimes local guys replace the drivers with ones that fit but are not correct, or tear out the original crossovers and replace (again, with something incorrect).

My advice would be to send the woofers to Bill LeGall at Millersound in Pennsylvania.

And what's wrong with the dust cap? Photos would help.

-Kent

Hi, thank you for your comments,

I am north of the border, not easy to ship thing for repair across custom, for now i will check the differents options, if a brand new original driver is available, that's the easy way, if not, the old damaged driver will need to be repaired, in Montréal we have a shop where they are able to rebuilt completely a driver, voice coil, surround, with most of the time original parts, i bring him two 10 inch last year for a mission sub and he found in his inventory an original voice coil for that mission 10 inch, maybe for AR he still have original part to  replace the broken voice coil.

For the dust cap. it's look like torn rubber, i wiil try to take picture

6 minutes ago, Nech said:

For the dust cap. it's look like torn rubber

michiganpat linked a seller in the Netherlands but try ebay. I see them in 38, 40, 52, 54, 55mm and other diameters.

Thank you for all the information you share.

i am able to remove driver from the box, but to refoam or re-do a voice coil it's over my ability...

and finding brand new original speaker seems impossible, too old...

i will bring the driver to my local shop specialized on amplifier and speaker repair, here a link for picture of the shop https://lmoel.wordpress.com/photos-2/

as you will see, he have a lot of parts in stock, spider, voice coil and foam and he is used to repair a lot of brand of driver, including AR

Part 2 of this message...

Tonight i found some times to remove the driver from the boxes and taking picture

The bass driver who sound weird have a crack on the foam, about quarter lenght of the circle, and when i push on the driver, i don't feel or hear friction between voicecoil and magnet, but when i shake it, i hear a friction noise..., i think something wrong in this driver and it will need more than just a refoam of the surround.

Both foam surround feel sticky when you touch them. maybe a voicecoil on one driver but foam for sure on both...

The mid driver on the same boxe have a torn dust cap, it's in rubber, the other one look perfect, i will ask him to change both of them.

I will bring the 4 drivers to my local repair shop and check with him for a complete check-up of these driver, when i hear these small boxes when i buy them, they sound so great, with one broken driver, i can't imagine how they will sound after the repair, possibly less powerfull than my other tower, BA T1030, but they look like to fill the space of the room...

20180106_215839.jpg

20180106_224739.jpg

20180106_224808.jpg

20180106_215905.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Fixed for less than 100$ canadian, the repair was 2 dust cap for the upper driver and 2 refoam job for the lower driver,  and they sound great, really great... they are so small and they fill the room so much, really impressive...

if i see one day a pair of M5 or M6 i will jump on them to try them and compare them to my BA T1030

• 2 years later...

Archived