AR 3a improved -silent woofer, tweeter

Guest bjagunn

Guest bjagunn

I am considering buying a pair of second-hand AR 3a 'improved' speakers. They had been in storage for a number of years and when I connected them up, the tweeter and woofer of one speaker were completely silent. I am wondering what I should look for: I understand that some of the internal connectors in these speakers were rather unreliable. Replacing any units would be too costly.

By the way, what does 'improved' actually mean?. Can someone tell me more about these speakers or direct me to a site with more information?

Guest Bret

>Replacing any units would be too costly.<

What part of the world are you in? It might not be all that expensive to replace drivers (with used ones). In any event, don't put them in the garbage. Someone would be willing to restore them even if they aren't worth the trouble to you.

Any one of a large number of things could be wrong, not least of which is that the connectors have come off the backs of the drivers (someone may have pulled them out and not bothered to put them back), they weren't likely to fall-off all by themselves. All you can do is open them up and take a look.

And of course, the drivers could be bad. Used drivers appear from time-to-time at reasonable cost. There are services that will cost-effectively rebuild the 12" driver ($70 or so) and do a good job of it.

The tweeter is a little trickier. Generally speaking, they aren't really rebuildable and so you have to search for a working used driver.

Do those speakers have level-control switches or knobs?

Bret

Guest bjagunn

Hi, Bret

I live in Reykjavik, Iceland, which makes it slightly difficult to obtain replacement units for the AR3a. There is a switch at the back which I now have found out indicates that the speakers are "European" manufacture and "improved" means made in Holland or UK:

Guest Bret

>I live in Reykjavik, Iceland, which makes it slightly difficult to obtain replacement units for the AR3a.<

Well, okay, it might take a little longer and be a little more expensive. But then, new speakers might be slightly difficult to come-by, too! :-)

Did you get into them to see if anything's loose and manipulate the switches a lot to see if you could make the tweeter make connection?

Bret

Archived