Allison IC 10 Listing EBAY

newandold

If interested.....These came up on EBay W.O. 12/19/2017.      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allison-IC-10/302568585500?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The A2.....redone to the hilt, so to speak, that’s what these are.

Push pull woofer configuration 8”, done like the AL 125 and others.

I have some old internet pics of a pair I came across years ago.

Very few ever made and I Do have a spec sheet someplace on them. If I can dig it out I will post.

Bill

>> The A2.....redone to the hilt, so to speak, that’s what these are.

Well, sort of; they were to be the poor man's IC20 (which from your photo you may have?), meaning strength-variable horizontal radpat 

>> Pushpull woofer configuration 8”, done like the AL 125 and others.

Right, though you mean the AL130, which had inversely mounted 8-inchers, same as these

42 minutes ago, davidrmoran said:

>> The A2.....redone to the hilt, so to speak, that’s what these are.

Well, sort of; they were to be the poor man's IC20 (which from your photo you may have?), meaning strength-variable horizontal radpat 

>> Pushpull woofer configuration 8”, done like the AL 125 and others.

Right, though you mean the AL130, which had inversely mounted 8-inchers, same as these

Hello David Moran,

Actually,  I did mean the AL 125.

The AL 130 woofers are 10” while the 125 has the 6.5” drivers.

Aesthetically you are right, a poor mans IC 20, (and right again, I still have them) however somewhat closer in performance to the A2, save image control options. 

Bill

oh, man, no:

AL130 woofs are 8", x2, inversely mounted
AL125 are 6.5" ditto

As for comparing w a pair of Twos, obviously, yes; I just meant if you are not going to employ the panel-level adjust (image control), you should stick with a pair of Twos, as there's no performance difference except for a very slight potential decrease in LF distortion

You can get a pair of dbx Soundfields (which these are based on) for way less; in fact, I have a pair of dbx SF100s, an ungodly good (neutral, accurate, wide-dispersion) design (google for review) that you can have for a few hundred, and a few more using uship to get them to you
quite equivalent to the IC10s, identical (not better, though) sound and capability
http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/dbx-soundfield-100-135.html
in fact, I will arrange shipping if you develop an interest ...
sorry, did not join this discussion to hustle anyone; it is a complete fluke that I have these for sale, as a friend who has gone psycho over dbx SF designs has no more room for these, and also has forsake all of his superb and refurbed Allison units

35 minutes ago, davidrmoran said:

yes, and 6.5 for the AL125
at that price, pass, too high

I enjoy following an auction like this however I'm not buying, just following. Curious to see what the 10 sells for, since it is a very rare sell these days (or any day for that matter.)

I think it's fine you mention your dbx are available.....interested in putting on Ebay for pickup? That's how I unloaded my Allison Ones.

dig it (your not being a buyer)

yes, will post the SF100s somewhere at some point, if the already committed buyer never shows (he has already paid for them, but now just has too many dbxes, same as he has had too many Allisons --- he loves precise spacious sound and image)

He changed his mind about dbx SF collection urgency after acquiring a pair of Soundfield Tens, which can go against the wall (as he has in fact sited them) and would be the obvious comparison for the IC10s:

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/dbx-soundfield-10-509.html

That pair did not appear to have the infrared installed for remote control, which was an extra cost option for the 10.

Check out my second post on this thread which explains the 10 Options on the spec. sheet.

Better off with manual switch anyway....the units could be problematic, shifting on their own.

The 10 and 20 were gone before a fix ever came.

Bill

No, I read that, but think that was just for the datasheet, and not sure an outboard module was ever actually made. I can ask the guy who did the IC20's, which occasionally got sketchy, as you note, and also check w the sales SVP. The other IC20 owners I know have not had the problem, I think, will check with them as well. I have some friends who have retrofitted their Ones into IC10s of a sort, as there is a sheet for how to do that, in RA's hand.

On 12/22/2017 at 8:34 PM, davidrmoran said:

No, I read that, but think that was just for the datasheet, and not sure an outboard module was ever actually made. I can ask the guy who did the IC20's, which occasionally got sketchy, as you note, and also check w the sales SVP. The other IC20 owners I know have not had the problem, I think, will check with them as well. I have some friends who have retrofitted their Ones into IC10s of a sort, as there is a sheet for how to do that, in RA's hand.

A few years ago, I realized the sketchy problem as you described, is not a problem (I don’t think) with the modules themselves, but rather, that made in China wall wart that came with the units.

I let it go, since I’m an Omni mode guy, which is the default when no juice goes to the modules. Still, I have it set up for demo purposes, and would like to try another wart of equal electrical value yet higher quality then the supplied unit. (To test my theory.) When I tried to find one a few years ago, I could not match the electrical value and polarity, got busy and forgot about it. Can you run this by your contact and see what he thinks?

Bill

I will ask, but I think it was the relay itself that got intermittent, nothing to do w a wallwart (??). I am sure AA specked it as good-quality as they could. Did you try deOxit all relay connections? I will ask the AA group on yahoo, which you should join. I myself am not sure what is broken w your rig in the first place.

k, here is the sum of knowledge I got tonight, fwiw. g/l.

owner 1:
The one I have is:
Input:    120V ac  60Hz  9W
Output:   12V dc  400mA
+ on center conductor  (tip)
I just measured mine and showed 17.4V out (no load) 

Most wallwarts don't have the 1/8" (?) plug as output, but he shouldn't have a big problem finding one online.

designer, lives in NH and Australia:

I have a supply of the relays used in the IC20s back in NH, but won't be back there till April. They have goldplated contacts, so are not expected to be a problem. I think the wallwarts are 12Vdc 1A and easily sourced at Parts Supply or other places. His problem may also be the IR receiver or the remote - also China-sourced. 

owner 2:
I am not sure about that remote. My own IC-20s had the habit of changing modes without me doing a thing. Only one speaker at a time would do it, which, if the things had not had the LED indicators, would have resulted in a skewed soundstage. I never could get the impromptu switching artifact to go away, which is why I eventually removed the IC module and hardwired the speakers into the omni mode, where I left them for years.
Also, when I did use the remote control the thing did not seem able to generate a wide enough infrared spread to switch both speakers simultaneously. I had to aim it at each speaker and switch just that one unit.
The IC circuit, which had multiple remote relays, was maddeningly complex (I had the schematic), and it took me some time to map the thing to determine just where the signal paths routed in the omni and focus modes. ... Once I figured it out I sent my color-coded diagram to Roy Allison, who said I had it correct. That allowed me to at first hardwire in omni, and then, years later, hardwire to focus.

David,

Thank you very much! (For all that)....

Interesting if accurate, measured output from “owner 1”. 17.5 lends some validity to my theory. I was lazy but recalled the rating on the adapter after he posted.

That being, if the adapter output is either too high or low, it MIGHT be wreaking some havoc with the IR and relay system.

Howard and I.....4 IC systems exhibiting the same exact behavior....and some others, and that’s why I want to, at least test the units with a few other adapters.

Just fun and no big deal....I don’t use the image settings because my IC’s are in a 5.1 system and always in “Omni” mode, the default when the relays are unplugged, they automatically return there.

Simply a pet peave of mine, to stabilize the behavior if possible.

Bill

Archived