AR-2ax Craigslist 11-17-17

dxho

I'd consider them if I wasn't already fully stocked. $150, reduced from $200 a while back.
No affiliation.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/ele/6364810184.html

"Pair of refurbished AR2ax speakers. Ready to listen - Lightly sanded and oiled the walnut; these have a couple scars for added character, but no major imperfections. Drivers all work, pots cleaned (but still scratchy), new caps, new foam, new grille cloth. Restuffed with original insulation. No sequential serials here, but they're about 100 apart. No pics with the grilles fully in place because it's a pain and half to get them back off again, so I'm leaving them off until the buyer has inspected them."

00n0n_961fdhi5coY_1200x900.jpg

00U0U_cKFf2T9zHrs_1200x900.jpg

00U0U_3yYsUgWdmVa_1200x900.jpg

You would never see these in California, especially the Bay Area, in this condition, for less then $400. Probably more. That is a screaming deal. But then again I saw huge, 3000+ sq feet homes being sold on House Hunters in Richmond yesterday for less then $400K. So I guess there is still value to be had some places in the country. 

I caught a pair of these off CL for $40, needing restoration of course.

Similar sized houses, actually inhabitable, can go for a lot less, depending on neighborhood.

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2017 at 12:20 PM, samberger0357 said:

You would never see these in California, especially the Bay Area, in this condition, for less then $400. Probably more. That is a screaming deal. But then again I saw huge, 3000+ sq feet homes being sold on House Hunters in Richmond yesterday for less then $400K. So I guess there is still value to be had some places in the country. 

Yeah you would until not too long ago - thanks to folks over talking things up on internet forums and not just sticking to the technical/sonic sides of the discussions! ; - )

Also factor in the Bay Area monkey see monkey do trend factor (you must be a craigslister to make a statement like the one you did) - when it's hot, it's hot but when it's not, it's not

Bought 3 pairs that all needed new compliance from my go to thrift shop in Concord, Kalifornia for $3 dollars a pair just recently

"Screaming deal"?  $400 bucks for a pair of 2axs that still need work no matter what part of the country I'm in isn't a deal of any kind to me - it's retail

I decided (learned?) not to bring home anything that someone else has been "restoring" or fixing up (THAT'S JUST ME) no matter how pretty

I will ALWAYS opt for the UNtouched original condition example(s) even if it means more sweat equity

Fewer disappointments and less cuss words that way

As for the costs of real estate (your comment) and various and sundry other durable goods?  It has nothing to do with "value" - it's this state's total disregard for anyone that actually works for a living and one party rule - Jim Crow, "not in my backyard" and segregation by financial means

By the way, I've lived in Kalifornia for 30+years (and I'm still here typing this) so I know of what I speak, I'm not starting any sort of political troll, just stating facts

Craig

4 minutes ago, Analogman said:

Bought 3 pairs that all needed new compliance from my go to thrift shop in Concord, Kalifornia for $3 dollars a pair just recently

Congratulations. I've been in California for 25 years, and finding AR speakers for $3 a pair in the age of Ebay/CL and forums is either crazy luck, or you have a friend in the business, as the commercial goes. Not that I doubt what you're saying, but  those kinds of finds nowadays in this area of the country just do not happen to regular joes scouring flea markets and thrift stores. And I've done more of that then you can imagine in my time. 

9 minutes ago, Analogman said:

Screaming deal"?  $400 bucks for a pair of 2axs that still need work no matter what part of the country I'm in isn't a deal of any kind to me - it's retail

I didn't say paying $400 was a screaming deal. I said paying $150 for a pair that have been restored is, which is what is in the original post. Again, at least around these parts. And I have no problem buying restored, prefer it even, as long as the work has been done well, and the speakers look and sound as I want them to. 

On 11/18/2017 at 12:20 PM, samberger0357 said:

"That is a screaming deal."

"You would never see these in California, especially the Bay Area.........................."

And other absolutes (nonsense)

Kalifornia's a big place - try getting a little further out than the hipsteriffic Piedmont / Montclair areas

Craig

4 minutes ago, Analogman said:

"That is a screaming deal."

"You would never see these in California, especially the Bay Area.........................."

And other absolutes (nonsense)

Kalifornia's a big place

Craig

"K". Whatever you say. 

3 minutes ago, genek said:

You realize that about half the people in California moved there from other states, right? A lot of us brought ARs with us when we moved.

And when they sell them these days they typically are asking more then $150 for them, especially in the shape of the OP.  I'm not saying that miracles don't happen, but generally people look at Ebay, etc., and look for top dollar. 

41 minutes ago, genek said:

You realize that about half the people in California moved there from other states, right? A lot of us brought ARs with us when we moved.

More than that if the last stats I read were true! ; - )

You are wasting your time though

Craig

Ok you guys are right, I'm wrong. I'm going out right now to find all those $5 AR's that the masses have brought with them from all over the country and now they just want to dump. I didn't know. Thanks for setting me straight. 

2 hours ago, samberger0357 said:

Ok you guys are right, I'm wrong. I'm going out right now to find all those $5 AR's that the masses have brought with them from all over the country and now they just want to dump. I didn't know. Thanks for setting me straight. 

Good hunting!

Craig

Archived