AR18J Restoration - information and help

sudhir

58 minutes ago, Stimpy said:

Twist them together, side by side, in parallel.  If you wire end to end, you'll cut capacitance in half.

Ah ha!!! Can't wait for the weekend...this might yield some great results. I've noticed that one speaker is slightly duller than the other. Putting these new caps in might make the difference.

Update!

I have bypassed the switch and put in the Solen capacitor. Now the speakers sound like a thin veil of cloth has been removed from in front of them! There is a fine layer in the Aqualung Albums guitar tracks which I've missed on these speakers. All looks good so far. 

Problem again:

One speaker sounds lower than the other while playing. While assembling them back , I was checked the polarity with a AA battery. I noticed that one woofer sounded "less" than the other(in volume and different in tone too). And the cabinet which has this woofer sounds less louder than the other.  So I went ahead and bought the other pair of AR18s available (the only other pair on sale in this country which I had mentioned earlier on in the thread). They are yet to come. All the drivers seem to be in good shape on them. However the cabinets not so. So I thought Id salvage the woofers and keep the tweeter as spare. 

Super Surprise:

Dad calls a little later to tell me someone is selling an AR93EQ with shot tweeters (the seller has replaced them with some bose tweeters!) So I think the tweeters from the donor have found a new home already! Buyer is asking some 250$ for the pair. Seem to be in very good shape! I will post a new thread for the 93's later! 

Meanwhile , will update as soon as I do the woofer swap as soon as the donor arrives!

• 9 months later...

Finally the other pair of the AR18s arrive. The front baffle looks nasty, but it is the drivers I am interested in. My 18's need the original woofer so I swapped the woofer.

The mid is very clean and transparent , but the base seems to be bloated! Moving them away from the wall and cutting down the bass to -1 on the amp seems to solve the problem. There is a difference in the rear of the woofer (magnet) between my old ones and these . Is this something i should be concerned about? Second picture shows the print on the underside of the cone from the donor speaker. So do I now have the original? Will be making the foam rings tomorrow to complete them. Will bother with the re veneering next month!

DSC_7412.thumb.jpg.6f1e6dc28fcaaa10e30be1f9bc54b3e3.jpg

DSC_7415.jpg

DSC_7417.jpg

• 3 years later...

I have a pair that I refoamed, they worked for awhile now one of them doesn't work at all the woofer or the Tweeter. One of the wires was just shot disintegrated. What is the white rectangular piece? I can tell no discernible difference between the zero and the three switch on the back. How does the wire from the capacitor connect to the white rectangular part?

Sincere, humble novice

• 1 year later...
On 11/1/2017 at 12:59 PM, ra.ra said:

Hi Sudhir, and welcome to the forum. The speaker model you have is the original AR-18, which later morphed into the AR-18s and then the AR-18b. The "J" that you have noted is part of AR's catalog referencing and requires little attention on your part - - just disregard this designation. It is also interesting to note that the AR-18 used a single serial number (in your case, 062207) for both speakers which were sold as a pair.  

It appears as though ra.ra hasn't check in here in some time. Can anyone else confirm this information about the "J" in the model number. I recently acquired a pair of these (sadly, with aftermarket replacement woofers) and am trying to decided what to do about them. They need some work. But the model number part has me confused. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that there were several iterations of the AR18 with different letters suffixed at the end. The labels on mine say AR18J followed by a clear space and then a 5-digit serial number. Mine have the HF-cut switch too. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

You most likely have the original AR18.  If you do, the tweeter will be offset from the woofer like my AR17 on the right.  If it's the AR18B, it will look like my AR28B on the left.

163880537_AR-17vsAR-28b.jpg.3d48908715b5533dff532c2a9e2c14a9.jpg

The original AR18 came with the AR 200001, 4.6 ohm, 8" woofer.   Acceptable AR alternative 8" woofers include the following: 200037, 1210037, 200050 & 1210050.  It looks like eBay has a couple of re-foamed 1210037 woofers for sale.