Allison One Tweeters...and a woofer question

kcbluesman

I've fixed a handful or two of dome tweeter and mids over the years, many people do it.

I think that the AR is one of the most difficult due to the blobs of foam and rubber coating.

3 hours ago, Pete B said:

“I've fixed a handful or two of dome tweeter and mids over the years, many people do it.”

On the tweeters only;

How many of those that you fixed involved a burned out, crushed or otherwise unusable voice coil, that needed to be replaced and where did you find voice coils that matched the Allison spec. For both the two and 3way units?

Perhaps you are referring to the simple tasks that HAVE been done by a number of do it yourselfers, such as dent pulling, lead extensions and dead shorts from the protective screens on the later versions?

Bill

I said that I've repaired some, not Allisons and mostly not burnt out voice coils.

I've wound my own voice coils for woofers.  Used a micrometer to measure the

old wire, bought high temp magnet wire of the correct gauge and wound them on

a home made jig. 

There are companies who will wind custom voice coils, how many hundred do you want?

I've also done the simple lead in wire break repair.

Have you measured an Allison tweeter voice coil?

On 11/3/2017 at 5:34 PM, Pete B said:

I said that I've repaired some, not Allisons and mostly not burnt out voice coils.

I've wound my own voice coils for woofers.  Used a micrometer to measure the

old wire, bought high temp magnet wire of the correct gauge and wound them on

a home made jig. 

There are companies who will wind custom voice coils, how many hundred do you want?

I've also done the simple lead in wire break repair.

Have you measured an Allison tweeter voice coil?

Hi Pete,

Sorry, I misread one of your posts along the way, regarding what you had done (or not) with Allison tweeters.

I’ve been in and out of these Allison forums since 1999, and so far, none of my reading and research has come up with a professional loudspeaker repair service, that deals with the Allison tweeter.

Actually, I did locate an outfit in Florida, that mentioned Allison, but didn’t follow up on it (not Simply Speakers). That’s going back probably 10 years already.

My research was intended to benefit others on the forum who needed help with tweeters.

Luckily, I’ve got a nice personal stash of spares, some of which are new old unused stock. It took over 7 years to come up with enough to feel comfortable about running multi channel Allison audio, without worrying about what to do in the event the bad thing happens.

Bill

• 1 month later...

I bought my Allison sevens in 1984 when I lived in Boston. By 1985 I was living in Framingham and had the pleasure of doing work for Roy Allison as an independent contractor. One day I turned my volume up too loud and blew one of my tweeters. I went to Allison Acoustics at 7 tech Circle in Natick Massachusetts to get a replacement tweeter. Roy saw me, came out to say hello, inquired why I was there, and then admonished me for blowing one of this tweeters! Then he showed me a fuse kit that he sold and he told me to buy it, install it, and I would never blow one of his speakers again. I paid him the $10 plus $0.50 tax, went home and immediately installed the fuses. In fact every set of speakers I have bought since 1985 I have installed fuses on. I have not blown a speaker since!! (My repaired allison 7 tweeter was crushed by my infant daughter who toppled one of my 7's attempting to climb it...) Thank you, Roy!

Right before Thanksgiving I was able to acquire a pair of Allison 9's. The owner told me one of the tweeters had been repaired by Bill at millersound. That makes two tweeters I know of that bill has repaired and I know he put a voice coil in mine. What coil it was and where he got it from I have no idea, but both repaired tweeters sound very good. My ears can not detect a difference.

20171209_083511-1.jpg

2 hours ago, JamSessions said:

I bought my Allison sevens in 1984 when I lived in Boston. By 1985 I was living in Framingham and had the pleasure of doing work for Roy Allison as an independent contractor. One day I turned my volume up too loud and blew one of my tweeters. I went to Allison Acoustics at 7 tech Circle in Natick Massachusetts to get a replacement tweeter. Roy saw me, came out to say hello, inquired why I was there, and then admonished me for blowing one of this tweeters! Then he showed me a fuse kit that he sold and he told me to buy it, install it, and I would never blow one of his speakers again. I paid him the $10 plus $0.50 tax, went home and immediately installed the fuses. In fact every set of speakers I have bought since 1985 I have installed fuses on. I have not blown a speaker since!! (My repaired allison 7 tweeter was crushed by my infant daughter who toppled one of my 7's attempting to climb it...) Thank you, Roy!

Right before Thanksgiving I was able to acquire a pair of Allison 9's. The owner told me one of the tweeters had been repaired by Bill at millersound. That makes two tweeters I know of that bill has repaired and I know he put a voice coil in mine. What coil it was and where he got it from I have no idea, but both repaired tweeters sound very good. My ears can not detect a difference.

20171209_083511-1.jpg

Yes......that was the original fuse kit that Allison made available before the "Power Shield" resetting protectors. (Installed the same way but no fuse to replace)

The fuse was an MDX-2...I still have some of those fuses, but I replaced those wood fuse blocks with units from Radio Shack.

The last of the Allison Lineup had bi stable resistors installed in the crossover networks to handle the fuse duty.

Bill

Archived