Acoustic Research AR3a Woofers Correct?

pcrosewood

Picked up these AR3a's recently . The previous owner re-foamed them and used a larger than normal dust cover. I'd like verification these woofers are correct for these speakers. I didn't see any writing on the back of the magnet of this woofer. I could only pick it up so far as the wires tightened. I wanted to disturb them as little as possible.

Acoustic Research AR3a Speakers 004.MOV

Acoustic Research AR3a Speakers 005.JPG

AR3a 001.JPG

AR3a 002.JPG

The woofer has plastic screen and round magnet similar to the AR 3a woofer I just came across. The dust covers are not original. Personally during refoaming,  I like to keep the original dust covers in place without touching them. I have not had any problem even with the tiny Bose 901 drivers. 

When I saw this post last night I thought "Wow I have seen AR 11 in woofers with larger than normal dust caps before"  When I woke this this morning (a good thing) it came to me.  I have some like that.  About 4 years ago Linda and I were headed out of town for the week and about 60 miles south of the city we stopped at a huge flea market.  I found these woofers sitting on a table and I recognized them to be AR, but that's about it. 

ZHtukHHl.jpg7PvcsIrl.jpg

The owner said they were from his Connoisseur 50T speakers, which he replaced with new ones from Simply Speakers. For $50.00 they went on vacation with me. I remember stopping and putting those cotton balls on them and wrapping them in t shirts. They also have poly (not paper) cones. Not what pcrosewood has. Time to get busy and refoam them. 

What pcrosewood has is a original set of A2 woofers (1969-1972) which has had some funky 6 in. subwoofer dust caps added when they were refoamed.   The correct dust caps should be around 2 1/2 in.  

Larry, those woofers are the exact same woofers as in my AR TSW-610's.  They have a polypropylene cone vs paper.

My experience is, these units do not go as low in frequency as the paper cone woofers in my AR-3a's. On the other hand, when you want SPL (i.e. crank it up) these woofers can handle power with ease. Not at all sure why that is, but these woofers can really handle power effortlessly.

When you apply serious power, you don't get the impression thesee woofers are under any strain. My 3a's do give that impression and part of that might just be .... age!

Regards,
Jerry

On 10/12/2017 at 10:40 AM, larrybody said:

When I saw this post last night I thought "Wow I have seen AR 11 in woofers with larger than normal dust caps before"  When I woke this this morning (a good thing) it came to me.  I have some like that.  About 4 years ago Linda and I were headed out of town for the week and about 60 miles south of the city we stopped at a huge flea market.  I found these woofers sitting on a table and I recognized them to be AR, but that's about it. 

The owner said they were from his Connoisseur 50T speakers, which he replaced with new ones from Simply Speakers. For $50.00 they went on vacation with me. I remember stopping and putting those cotton balls on them and wrapping them in t shirts. They also have poly (not paper) cones. Not what pcrosewood has. Time to get busy and refoam them. 

What pcrosewood has is a original set of A2 woofers (1969-1972) which has had some funky 6 in. subwoofer dust caps added when they were refoamed.   The correct dust caps should be around 2 1/2 in.  

Onplane is correct. These woofers date to the mid-80's. It was manufactured for AR by Tonegen in Japan.

This woofer will fit the 3a cabinet hole, but is not a good 3a woofer replacement...primarily due to higher Fs (less compliant suspension) and a light plastic cone.  There were no earlier AR 12 inch woofers having dust caps of that size.

Roy

I have a set of beautiful AR 11cabinates with crossovers and no drivers or grills. I am thinking Franken 11’s. I have the correct midranges and some HiVi tweeters and these woofers. I could always replace the woofers down the road. Just a thought. 

Archived