I'm afraid it has happened?

frankmarsi

Don't know why ANYONE is buying or fooling with the rape job, over priced chinese CTS repro crap.......................

.................when, for THE MOMENT, just about every incarnation of that CTS masterpiece is for sale on ePay in quantities ranging from singles to assembly line cases and ALL New Old Stock, AND every example I've researched was being offered by sellers with monster positive feedback(s)

If the repros are what you want you can buy them off epay for about half of what the friendly guys at simply speakers etc et al. are gouging you for - the L25 JBL chinese repros too

The chinese L25 repro can be had for around $25, SS is gouging at $79.95! Ridiculous - I've had some interesting correspondence with 'em on the fact that they're just re-selling the same junk off the net to which they make no denial (did say they had plans in the works to adjust their asking downwards, instead it's actually gone up)

Same driver, same factory same everything as the $25 unit - they even use the same STOCK PHOTOS sans SS paper sticker on the magnet

Guys, please don't support this crap until there is no other choice.............................and even then.......: - (

Craig

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its been over 4 years since the introduction of the Midwest tweeter and I'm curious as to the members opinion on them now. I have the Midwest tweeter in my AR-11s and they sound great to my old ears, but how do they sound in the earlier models and what modification's are needed to make them work. I'm going to be using them in my LST restoration and understand that I will need to drop the tweeter cap from a 6uf to a 2uf , is there any other recommended crossover tweak's I should know before I hit the order button??

Cheers!

13 hours ago, Earthnz said:

I'm going to be using them in my LST restoration and understand that I will need to drop the tweeter cap from a 6uf to a 2uf , is there any other recommended crossover tweak's I should know before I hit the order button??

If your current tweeters are backwired then the Midwest are a drop in fit but iirc you also need a coil change.  Somewhere on this site among tweeter discussions is a statement from a credible source saying, AR tried and rejected an AR11 type tweeter for use in the LST.  The AR11 tweeter diverges from the Roy Allison approach to immersive sound. 

In the US the cost to rebuild original tweeter bodies is very close to the price of new Midwest tweeters that are not original and will subtract from value.  You could contact @RoyCor @Chris1this1.

Adams

Are you saying a coil change is required for LST tweeter replacement (only)? Because there is no coil changes required for 10Pi, 11 and all the 9-Series speakers with the MidWest driver. I believe there is also no coil change required for the 3 and 3a. There is a replacement driver (which one escapes me atm) that involves a coil addition but its not the Midwest unit.

I agree that rebuilding the originals is the way to go if that option exists.

On 10/31/2017 at 12:19 AM, RoyC said:

I quickly dropped the tweeter into an AR-3a and believe a larger parallel coil than the .05mh coil used with the HiVi tweeter will be needed to properly integrate it...but it sounds very promising. One downside is the front covering of the new tweeter would have to be cut to access the leads for front-wiring.

-It may serve as a very easy tweeter replacement for the AR-11, 10pi, 12 (8 ohm version), and AR-9x series models with no crossover adjustments (for most people) when satisfactory originals are not

You made me search! Above quote is from the second page of this thread.  Applies to 3a 5 and LST. 

Dispersion was decreased to increase durability and lower manufacturing costs.

Adams

Yes, the HiVi tweeter but not the Midwest. However, I took a look at the Midwest website for the tweeter and they have made some minor changes. This may be due to Roy advising them on the LST applicability. Unfortunately my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Thanks for the 'leg' work.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, RonDollah said:

@RoyC Can you tell me what the current state-of-the-art is with respect to replacing the AR11 tweeter? Can the HiVi be used with (or without) a coil? Do you repair AR11 origjnal tweeters? Or, is the Midwest replacement the best option at this point?

Ron,

The Midwest tweeter is nearly an exact replica of the AR-11 tweeter. It is the best of all replacement options for the 11 and 10pi.

Roy

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
15 hours ago, baffled_loudspeaker said:

I have a pair of AR-90 that have the Simply Speakers 1200084 replacement tweeter. It's very old and has crumbling foam on the surface. Can anyone speak to a difference between this one and the Midwest Audio replacement?

If they originally had foam on the surface, they are probably the Tonegen replacement tweeter retailed and wholesaled by now-defunct AR authorized service center, AB Tech. This tweeter was a good replacement, but is no longer available. Without the foam, the excellent Midwest and Tonegen replacements are quite similar. If you are otherwise satisfied with your tweeters, you can remove the loose foam, and use them as is.

Btw, the current replacement sold by SS is not the same as the Tonegen or MW replacements.

Roy

7 hours ago, RoyC said:

If they originally had foam on the surface, they are probably the Tonegen replacement tweeter retailed and wholesaled by now-defunct AR authorized service center, AB Tech. This tweeter was a good replacement, but is no longer available. Without the foam, the excellent Midwest and Tonegen replacements are quite similar. If you are otherwise satisfied with your tweeters, you can remove the loose foam, and use them as is.

Btw, the current replacement sold by SS is not the same as the Tonegen or MW replacements.

Roy

Thank you Roy! I appreciate the detail. Wouldn't have figured that the SS model, with the same PN, is not what I have.

Upon further investigation, I think every transducer in my AR-90 have been replaced. The most recent owner recently had them reconed because the surrounds were disintegrating, but that suggests that they were first replaced a long time ago and might be AB Tech-era replacements, similar to the tweeter. No idea if I should spend $200 and recap them myself or find a better pair.