AR-18s speakers

ra.ra

Don't get me wrong. That's a nice amp and should pair well with your similar-vintage speakers. I just think it's more likely that the amp would have issues. 

I've acquired many old amps and receivers over the years and always have a pro check them out. Look at it this way: Your speakers have 1 or 2 (I've never been inside the 18) caps that, if they go out of spec, may cause changes in the crossover point that may or may not be noticeable. If you have to pay a technician to replace them I think you get very little bang for your buck (or euro as the case may be). OTOH, an amp has dozens of capacitors and numerous other electronic thingies, any one of which may go bad after 40 years and exposure to dirt and damp. Failure of any one of those components "may" cause others to malfunction and in the case of an amp, you're talking about an instrument that's constantly plugged into 220 volts in your home. That could be bad. 

In my experience Technics equipment is well-made and reliable. My technician uses only Panasonic (Technics' parent company) capacitors in his repair work. If you like the amp why not get the honest and professional folks at Uniaudio to check it out (or, if they don't do that work maybe they could recommend a technician who is familiar with older amps). Just a suggestion. Of course your speakers will work perfectly well with a newer amp. It all depends on how much you want to have "vintage" gear.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, JKent said:

Don't get me wrong. That's a nice amp and should pair well with your similar-vintage speakers. I just think it's more likely that the amp would have issues. 

no of course any suggestion is welcome… and of course I'd love to have vintage-y equipment* because of my age (long story short: I went to look for my teenage years equipment which I knew were on some basements somewhere, didn't find it but turned out with a free pair of AR's and a Technics amp plus my old Pioneer turntable… prettyyy prettyyy good I'd say; my observation was based on the *free* aspect of the haul)

*lazy as I am I ended up hooking it to my iMac… but lossless audio turned out good on it, maybe some purist will have a heart attack about this but it's all my fault

• 4 weeks later...