How much should one expect to pay for an Allison 8", 4ohm speaker in good working orded?

JamSessions

With the anticipated arrival of my original, repaired speakers later today from MillerSound, I am officially two Allison  8", 4ohm woofers away from having completely restored my 4 Allison CD7s to factory specs. My question: when searching for Allison woofers, what can one expect to pay for a working pair, or for a pair of drivers that need to be sent for reconing and refoaming?

Those woofers were selling for 60 or 70 a pop new before the company closed the door. (As a reference point)

After nearly 2 decades the pickins are getting slim.

For original Allisons, you will need to watch the marketplace and grab one at a time and maybe, from purchasing used systems in any shape that contain the 8 inchers. 

Bill Legall can "match" a pair (sensitivity) even if they are from different systems. Still, they both of course need to be 4 ohm.

I bought a 10 inch Allison from a CD 9 once for 5 bucks.

Still in a box I've had it for years and have not done anything to it yet.

Bill

Thanks. I keep finding ones that have been reformed. I spoko with Bill, who tells me that they ruined them and to avoid getting ones that weren't foamed by him. He told me he wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for a pair of used 8" Allison wolfers that needed to be reconed and reformed. A fellow is selling what he claims are Allison woofers, but I am skeptical because the magnets are round, not square.

• 5 months later...

AFAIK, the only square magnet assemblies for the Allison line of speakers is some CD series units. All of the ones from the 80's are round, and there are far more of the round ones floating around than there are square ones. Out of the 14 woofers I currently have in my possession, only 2 of them are square. 

• 1 year later...

I stumbled upon a pair of 4s that a friend was getting rid of  that I thought needed new foam, but now realize they need cones AND foam.   I see MillerSound mentioned above but no contact info....  any help on that ???   

I would rather get these up to snuff than part them out.   tweeters look good but as to sound I have not tried to hook them up.  cabinets could use a 
reform but who cares about look!!    

I am eager to see some advice on where to look for reconing and foaming from a quality provider if anyone has recommendations...  thanks

4 hours ago, Hooper said:

I stumbled upon a pair of 4s that a friend was getting rid of  that I thought needed new foam, but now realize they need cones AND foam.   I see MillerSound mentioned above but no contact info....  any help on that ???   

I would rather get these up to snuff than part them out.   tweeters look good but as to sound I have not tried to hook them up.  cabinets could use a 
reform but who cares about look!!    

I am eager to see some advice on where to look for reconing and foaming from a quality provider if anyone has recommendations...  thanks

www.millersound.net

You need to talk with them first. They say no longer repairing Allison but they’ll probably handle the woofer reconing without an issue.

The big deal with the Fours are the 4 tweeters. So rare and hard to find replacements. I would want to be sure I have 4 running tweeters before I recone the woofers which are easier to have repaired.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:01 PM, Jon S said:

I have 4 Allison 7s in need of reforming as well.

Is there a consensus on where to source the foam? Or cones that are either original in design or better?

I’m not sure there are enough of us left to form a consensus! (Just kiddin)

On the surrounds, if your intention is to do it yourself.

Foam not rubber and roll radius as close to original as possible but don’t sweat it.

You have damaged cones?

Bill

• 1 year later...