AR2ax mid versus AR 4x tweeter

danacook88

So, I am in the middle of a AR 3a refurb but came into a mixed pair of AR 2ax/2a.  If I successfully ID'd, one is a 2ax and the other is a 2a.  The 2a has the dual cone mids and the 2ax has the single yellow-foam-caged mid.  I successfully brought the 2ax back to life.  Although I have done many of my own surround repairs, these Alnico woofers had clothand so had them done by Bill LeGall of MillerSound (highly recommended).  Beautiful work.  BTW, the "finished" repair has the mid that is mounted on a small removable plywood panel but the back labels are torn off where the model numbers would normally be located.  S/N D 38357.  The reason I believe it was originally a 2ax is that the grill frame does not have three holes like a 2a has, but only two (one rectangular and the other round).

The 2a, or so I believe based on the dual cone mid and the three hole grill frame AND the label on the back (duh) needs more work.  The mid complex is dead.  Can't get anything out.  And, I believe it might behoove me to upgrade that to a 2ax via the mid to get a "matching" pair.

From my research, the AR 2ax midrange driver is the same driver used as a tweeter in the AR 4x.  Is this correct?  I ask because I also have a pair of 4x that need some love.  Trying to confirm before making $100 purchases.

Thanks for any/all assistance.

Respectfully,

Dana

ar2ax - 2.jpg

ar2ax - 1.jpg

ar2ax - 3.jpg

3 hours ago, danacook88 said:

From my research, the AR 2ax midrange driver is the same driver used as a tweeter in the AR 4x.  Is this correct?

Nope, the 2ax midrange is the same as the AR-4 tweeter. (This driver was also used as tweeter in some AR-2x and AR-1x speakers, but these are uncommon models.)

Your pics are sort of dark and small, but it's unclear what type of work Bill did on the woofers.

What I understand is that AR offered a upgrade midrange kit to bring the AR2a up to a AR2ax. I also have herd that AR also took 2a's in and did factory upgrades of the midranges. Thus the 2ax grills were installed. Much like these that I have.

JCKij7s.jpg

Do your 2ax's also have the Alnico woofers?

Re: your 2a and the mid(s), if in fact the dual drivers are non-functional, your best bet probably is to replace with the ugly duckling 2ax mid (with the damping and metal cage), but you may have to also fabricate the plywood infill panel. If so, just try to replicate the one you already have. The good news is that these drivers have reasonable availability and are not very expensive.

As far as creating a "pair", the performance part should be fairly easy to do once you obtain a replacement midrange, even though the pots will require attention and the caps may need replacement. The other issues - - the cosmetics - - may in fact be of equal challenge, depending on your level of desire for "matching". You've already mentioned mis-matched grille frames, but wood cabinet species and condition, grille fabric, and metal badges all present more than one option each, when based on various versions of the originals. 

So what about those woofers? I know that the reputation of Bill's work is unsurpassed, and the cone and surround appear original, but what type of work was performed? The cones and surrounds look original, but it appears everything has been covered with some type of black coating. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

FWIW, one of my pairs of 2aXs is early & completely original (except for new xover capacitors) and has the exact same midrange mounting panel. All my later pairs have the more common midrange mounting.

Archived