New to me AR3

Swampfox77

Hey everyone, first post here. I have for the last year been in love with my 1969 set of AR2ax's that I scored for 40$.  All the while searching for the elusive affordable AR3.  Well they finally found me over the last weekend.  Very pleased to say the least.  They are in perfect condition.  I was blessed with no water marks or scuffs.  Just one small bang on a upper top edge, not even really writing about.  I am really wondering the age of the speakers without removing the woofers just yet. The serial numbers are 10744 and 13144.  Does anyone know around when these could of been built?  Anyways I hooked them to my yamaha CR-2020 and  was so happy all the drivers worked!   The pots worked without dropping out and the speakers responded accordingly.  Now to the real life portion of this write up.  I played some well known pieces that I was very familiar with and after a little while started to notice something.  If i was close to one of the speakers I could hear the woofer breaking up ever so slightly on the abrupt bass passages.  No one else in the house noticed anything.  The other speaker sounded sublime.  DEEEEEEP bass that was solid and velvety.  Thats how I really came to notice the other one.  Sounded like a bit of static really.  Other than that they sounded superb.  The mids and treble on some jazz drum attacks sounded more than live.   I see what everyone has always talked about.  And I thought my AR2ax's sounded special, well they still do.  But this speaker is the next logical step.  Removed the problem speakers grill very carefully and all was well under the covers.  The woofer looked great, maybe the foam ring around the dustcap was a little dry.  The fabric surround looked fine except I noticed a little sagging going on.  The top of the surround was a little bit more flat than the bottom of the woofers surround.  I have owned many vintage Polk speakers that I would have to rotate the passive radiators that would have sat in one position for 30+ years.  And this woofer reminded me of that.  Is that an issue with the AR speakers?  I figure I will have to do a recap anyways so driver removal is on the horizon.  I understand that spiders come loose as well as other little things.  Does not really sound like coil scrape, but do not hold me to it.   I am a member over at AudioKarma and was told to speak to a gentleman by the name of Roy here for assistance.   I am not above sending my woofers out for a little love so I can play these gems without worry.  Also I am missing the little "3" Pins that go in the grill corners.  Or did they all have them?  And the age of them really intrigues me as well.  I am excited to learn more about these rs from the people who ar3.3.thumb.jpg.1b2f1d8d02225def77fa58ee2816c05a.jpgar3.4.thumb.jpg.f3110feff7d67b125208f6083ed9e933.jpgthem best.  ar3.1.jpg.de913844d213c6e55d3c3efc3950c1c6.jpgar3.5.thumb.jpg.5bb9811109d8d6fbb7ace7e9bd16d988.jpgar3.2.thumb.jpg.23f209814f8cdec38245d9c22a19f68b.jpg

1 hour ago, Swampfox77 said:

The woofer looked great, maybe the foam ring around the dustcap was a little dry.  The fabric surround looked fine except I noticed a little sagging going on.  The top of the surround was a little bit more flat than the bottom of the woofers surround.

Patience Swampfox.  You will get an answer but I am almost certain you will be asked to post images of the woofer in question.

Welcome Swampfox

You probably know Roy (RoyC) from AK. Anyway--he is the guy to talk to. And I assume you have read the AR-3a restoration guide Roy co-authored. http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/

If you are interested, I have reproduction "3" pins. Please see this thread and PM me if interested: 

-Kent

• 4 weeks later...

Archived