Snell XA 90 Powered Sub Amplifier problem

tomknow

I have a nice pair of Snell XA 90ps with the amplified powered subs (2 in each box). On one speaker the amp is not working, it powers up, red LED illuminates on the front of the cabinet but no sound.  Drivers tested fine and produce sound, just not from the amp. Anyone know how to get this repaired? All of the other drivers are working fine, just the 2 - 10" subs are not getting powered by the amp. I'm told that the micro control board goes defective on some of these.  My plan is to sell these as they are too big now for my living quarters but I want to have a fully functioning pair to sell vs. something that needs repair.  BTW if anyone is interested in them, repaired or as is, message me.  These are awfully nice speakers and were right at $7K a pair when new.  A good deal awaits someone looking for these!

• 2 years later...

Tomknow,

I realize I may be coming in late on the conversation...but I have 2 90XA's also, and I've had the sub-amp issue more than once.  I was able to send one of my sub amps to Snell when they were still in operation.  They sent me a "refurbished" sub-amp in return, that had been repaired.  Now, I have an issue with the opposite sub-amp; it either hums very loudly, or it blows the fuse when it first fires up.  Yes, there is a fuse; it pops out just below where the power cord plugs in the back of the speaker/amp.

I'll have to resort to finding a local electronics repair shop and hopefully find a schematic out there somewhere...

Kevin

• 1 year later...

Kevin,

I have been repairing and upgrading the PS 90,75 and ICS sub amps for some time now 10
+ years. I realize your post is almost a year old and you may have found a solution. Just for your information and others looking for repair for these units. I also have some of the last remaining inventory for the upgraded digital boards and IR sensors. I can't offer a swap due to the limited supply of parts but can offer a repair/restoration of your existing unit. These are a well-designed amps but went through three revisions They still require revisions to maintain stability, all covered in the repair/restoration. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Ampman

I have these speakers and one of them is having major issues. I think there is something wrong with the circuit boards and tow back tweeters are working although the drivers are fine. Any solutions to fix these? I love these speakers. Also any idea where I can get an receiver fixed? When I first hooked up my onkio to these speakers some power surge occured and blew out a channel on my onkio

On 11/30/2021 at 5:59 AM, ampman said:

Kevin,

I have been repairing and upgrading the PS 90,75 and ICS sub amps for some time now 10
+ years. I realize your post is almost a year old and you may have found a solution. Just for your information and others looking for repair for these units. I also have some of the last remaining inventory for the upgraded digital boards and IR sensors. I can't offer a swap due to the limited supply of parts but can offer a repair/restoration of your existing unit. These are a well-designed amps but went through three revisions They still require revisions to maintain stability, all covered in the repair/restoration. 

I really need your help with my snells

• 2 years later...
On 11/30/2021 at 2:59 AM, ampman said:

Kevin,

Hi Ampman, I also have a pair of XA90's.  Years ago, I had issues with both sub amps, they were both swapped out under warranty by Snell with refurbished units.  Now both of the replacements have issues.  One hums and crackles badly and the other blows fuses.  Please send me your info if you're still repairing these, or please tell me where I can find a schematic. 

Thank you,

Kevin