KLH model 17 dates

FUNT

Welcome to the CSP Funt

I don't know. The KLH spreadsheet in the Library says the Seventeens were produced 1967-74 but there's an ad there from July '65, so I'd say maybe '65 to '74? SN 132793 "seems" rather late--so I'm guessing closer to '74 but I don't know. I had a pair at one time, SN 05663 and 070827, so much lower numbers than yours.

btw. I STRONGLY recommend replacing the capacitors. Just 3 caps per speaker--one 8uF and two 2uF.  They're the infamously leaky Callins black and red PVC. One of them in my Seventeens had actually exploded (that's a double 2uF--just replace with two individual caps).

-Kent

exploded.JPG

So... looks like Mar 2, 1970.

Those cloth surround woofers may benefit from a light coat of Roy's goo (available from ebay seller Vintage AR).

I like Carli caps from Madisound. Good quality, quite inexpensive.

-Kent

See eBay item number:162564805763 for the goo. 

Here's how to check if you need it: Using 3 fingers like a tripod around the outside edge of the dust cap, push the woofer cone inward. Release. See if it returns slowly or just springs right back. If it springs back there is an air leak. One possible source of the leak is the cloth woofer surround--they may have become porous. Roy's goo is the correct formula to re-seal them. NEVER use any of the do-it-yourself methods some people have recommended (like silicone bathtub caulk). The cloth-surround woofers are excellent and will last a very long time so ONLY use Roy's goo. There is a service bulletin in the library describing use of the butyl sealant: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/other/klh_schematicsservice/klh_service_bulletin_60.pdf

Other sources of leaks include the cabinet (unlikely) and the gasket between the driver (woofer, tweeter) and the cabinet. Based on your close-up shot it looks like your tweeters have white foam gaskets. No reason to remove the tweeters. Your woofers look like they also have foam. The foam can become squished (it's a technical term) and may not make a good seal. PartsExpress sells some good products for sealing the space. One is their  "Speaker Gasketing Tape 1/8" x 3/8" x 50 ft. Roll", the other is "12" Speaker Sealing Caulk Box of 72 Pcs.". But in either case you're buying way more than you need. A couple of other options: Lowes and other stores sell "Gardner Bender 1-lb Pug Duct Seal" for about $3. Again, more than you need but it's cheap. It's basically the same stuff as the PE Sealing Caulk but you have to form it yourself. It's like a big lump of plasticene modeling clay. Break off a piece and roll it out in your hands to make "worms" about 1/8" or so in diameter. You probably did that as a kid. Use these around the speaker opening or on the speaker itself to make a good seal.

Another way to go: Michaels and other craft stores sell sheets of Creatology foam. They are 12" x 9" so you'll need 2 but they are just a buck apiece. Draw your gaskets on the foam and cut them out.

Hope this is helpful.

-Kent

Very helpful Kent ... Thanks brother, I've learned a few things and excited about the process. 

We don't have these stores you mention being that i'm in Montreal. but i'm sure i can find whats needed... again thanks

8 hours ago, FUNT said:

We don't have these stores you mention being that i'm in Montreal

ooops. Bienvenue à CSP :D

Partsexpress and Madisound are mail order and may ship to Canada. Or there may be similar speaker building supply outfits up there. Vintage AR on ebay definitely ships to Canada (or send a PM to CSP member RoyC). Michael's is a craft store. Lowes is a "home center" but the duct seal should be available from an electric supply store--it's used to seal electric boxes exposed to moisture.

-Kent

Good lead Carl. I've bought from them.

An outfit I really like is justradios.com in Ontario although, as the name says they are more for the electronic parts than speaker parts but I recommend them.

-Kent

Archived