Genuine OEM full recone kits for Allison 8' woofers?

JamSessions

Try Simply Speakers. They sell after market kits. Your chances of finding an OEM kit seem pretty dim to me. If SS can't help you, contact Bill Legall at Millersound in PA. He should be able to piece something together for you from his vast inventory. Just to be clear, he'd do the repair, not sell you a kit.

Just to be clear once again, are your woofers dead? or, do they just need new foam surrounds. Big difference in complexity and cost. If all you need is a foam kit, then I highly recommend ebay seller looneytunes. 

My woofers work. I found a speaker repair shop. They asked me to remove the wolfers and write down all numbers on the back of the speaker. There were no numbers. Just made in the USA and a date stamped. They asked me if the spiders were protruding. Being ignorant as I am I did not know what spiders were so I took pictures of the speakers and sent them to the repair shop. They called me and said that the speakers need to be reformed and reconed and that if I could get an original manufacturers reconing kit that I could save money because they wouldn't charge me for that, they would just charge me for the work.

Look under the cone at the spiders. Are they flat from outer edge to where they attach to the base of the cone? or, or they sagging or protruding? If flat, all you most likely need is a refoam job. If sagging or protruding upward, then it depends on how much deviation from flat are they. Refoaming, most times helps non-flat spiders.

I'm thinking you don't need a recone job. Properly done, every moving part of the cone assemble is replaced. With that come risk of the speakers not sounding original again. 

I've done a number of those. A pain to clean off all of that accumulated dust. I always thought is was a mistake to make a woofer with a sticky finish on the cone and then place it in a cabinet facing up. Once clean, I applied a light coat of speaker cone black finish. With the new foam, it looked a good as new. 

You are lucky the spiders aren't sagging. 

4 hours ago, JamSessions said:

Does anyone know where can I find genuine OEM full recone kits for Allison 8' woofers? Thanks.

Allison Acoustics never offered recone kits ever....for any of their drivers. Only replacement drivers, tested and passed by the factory were sold to the end user.

That being said, and as another here has mentioned, outfits like Bill Legall and several others out there can successfully repair whatever is necessary on an Allison woofer.

Bill

4 hours ago, JamSessions said:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jam and a belated welcome.

I think your repair shop is giving you bad information and it also sounds like they are not really familiar with these speakers. Many of us here are "DIY" kinda guys but based on the fact that you went to a shop to have the work done I would strongly endorse the advice given by others here: Pack up the woofers and send them to Bill LeGall of Millersound http://www.millersound.net/contact-bill-legall-millersound.html

Bill is universally recognized as THE speaker guru and I can tell you from experience his prices are very fair. And he's a good guy. Don't screw around. Contact Bill.

-Kent

Archived