My klh collection thus far.

Matthew

Nice! You've got 3 of the best there.

I've never heard the Nines or the Twenty-Eights but I'm sure I'd like them. Both too big for my room thought.

Of those I've owned, my faves were the Model Twelve, followed by the Model Five.

I'm also kind of a fanatic about the KLH Model Eight radio.

8 and 13.jpg

KLH_5.jpg

KLH_12.jpg

Beautiful. The model 5 and 12 are at the top of my wish list . Of course the  9 as well but they seem to demand big $. Never heard any of these 3 but hopefully  soon. How would you describe the model 12's sound wise?  Had the equilizers to.  AMAZING.

I never had the Twelves set up in a real listening room, so I sold them to a neighbor and he's very happy with them. The contour boxes had to be recapped but after that they sounded like big, accurate speakers. Basically KLH Fives in bigger boxes, so better bass. The Fives will hold their own against the AR-3a but don't demand the high prices.

The Twelves can be true bargains because of the low WAF. I bought mine for $100 with a Model Eighteen tuner thrown in. I rebuilt the boxes, refinished the cabs and sold them for $200. The neighbor has a big living room so they work well for him. And they will FILL a big room.

I subsequently rebuilt contour boxes for several people. Here's a before & after shot. I also replace the resistors in KLH Twelves and Fives because the originals are only 5W and I've come across some burned ones.

before after resized.jpg

Wow. You got yourself a great deal and paid it forward. I live in a prevalent area for gear.l(MA) Especially when it comes to KLH, AR, and Advents.  I'm sure a pair is bound to come up sooner or later.  Atleast i hope. Hold up with the AR-3a.  Def enticing.  Just found these at a relatively low price. AR2ax. Surrounds are dry so I'll do a redope. And you can tell the pots are in need of dire attention. Which come with the territory of owning classic AR's. And still they sound great. 

Screenshot_20170606-221603.png

Nice Matthew!  Love those 28's.  They have been on my radar for a couple years now after finding some stands for them (yes odd).  How do they sound.  Never seem to get a report on what they sound like so I have been cautious about spending a lot of money.

My collection consists of the following: Five, Six, 17, 23, 24, 32.  Model 27 receiver and the model 26 stereo with turntable.

The Fives are in my master bedroom and still need a cap refresh that I never got around to a couple years ago when JKent helped me figure out what I had and needed for them.  The six's also need work, but are a daunting task so are a bit down on the list for now.  I have a post on the forum here about them and the one with the odd cabinet. (There is a good looking pair on CList here now I am watching)  The 17's I recently traded away but will be on the lookout for replacements.  I think KLH hit a sweetspot with the 17.  One of my favorite.  The 23's are great and just need cabinet refinishing.  The 24's will pair up with the 26 stereo.

Here are a couple photos of the 26 stereo I don't think I have ever posted.

1002161553_resized.jpg

1002161553a_resized.jpg

Thank you! Very nice lineup you have. My time with the 28's has been limited. Storing them at my brothers. Closing on a house in 2 weeks and they will get a nice workout once I do. The experience i have had  even with a not so ideal placement was excellent. I had no idea what to expect. As I have never heard a omni directional speaker before.  They're very Klh-esk  when it comes to low end. And I haven't even begun to redope the woofers. The woofers seem to be essentially The same 10" they use on the 17's. The mids  to highs are pretty bright compared to other models I have heard. Not to a extent where it's not enjoyable and fatiguing. Actually found it to be a very nice change from the other KLH speakers I owned or heard. Much less brightness then say The JBL 4408A i own that have pretty bright titanium tweeters. But noticely higher then  my other KLH.  The Extra tweeters will prob do that. Also they're very immersive being Omni directional.  Sound surrounds you. I love my 23's. Essentially the 6's with a larger prettier cab and heftier woofer. Couldn't believe how simplistic the crossover was. Recap took me 10 mins. 1- 4 uf cap quick solder and mount and these bad boys were singing. The bass is astounding. My brother being a big Advent fan gave the nod to these over his OLA. Bass is equal if not more. Mids highs very balanced laid back and detailed. The magnet on the back of these woofers is huge and heavy. But back to the 28. Considering how rare they're,  unique and that they sound pretty damn good... I'd Def recommend them.

Hi Matthew,

I'll play along.  Without trying to I have managed to collect:

Model Twenty speakers (3 of them)

Model Fourteen speakers (2 pairs)

Model Eighteen tuner (used daily with a Dynaco PAT4 preamp and a pair of Mk IIIs)

Model 27 radios (3 of them, one with the proper extension speaker)

Model Eight radio (low s/n, solid walnut)

Model 27 receiver (listened to every day in my kitchen with one pair of the 14s)

I recently learned of the Model Sixteen amp.  Now I am jonesing for one!

Peter

OK. This has gone beyond the original question

On 6/6/2017 at 10:05 PM, Matthew said:

What's your fav KLH speaker?  in order.

So.... KLH gear I have owned or do own (model numbers were always spelled out but I'll abbreviate with numerals):

5--Great speakers. AR-3a rivals. 12" woofer as closer to 10.5" Two mids were the ubiquitous drivers used in the late Model Eight, also the 13, 14, 15, 19, 21 (all versions) 708, etc. Sold mine when I bought the 3a's but sort of wish I hadn't

8--I restore these as a hobby and have owned close to 100. Have about 20 right now.

11W--OK but unimpressive compact system. Home version of the suitcase system.

11--clever "suitcase stereo". I've owned a few, still have one. Weak point is the Garrard changer (same goes for all KLH compacts). Very lucky college kids had these in the '60s.

12--Great speakers but huge. Same drivers as the Fives but in a bigger box and with a 4-band "contour control" box that could be used with a short cable or a long cable that allowed fine-tuning from your listening position (sort of a wired remote control) edit: The woofers in the 12 are different from those in the 5.

13--odd add-on (seen in my post above) to turn the Model Eight into a compact stereo system, complete with Phono. While the Eight was tube, the Thirteen was solid state. Weird. I've owned about half a dozen.

14--similar to 15 and 19. Used 2 4" drivers from the later Model EIght and subsequently used in MANY KLH speakers. Ported.

14B--a flat 14 that could be hung on a wall

15--same as 14. Used in a compact system I think

16--nice solid state amp

17--nice 2-way

18--the solid state FM tuner. Great tuner in the '60s. I bought one in '69 and still have it

19--like the 14. I think they were part of a system

20--essentially a 4 ohm version of the 17. Part of a compact system

21 Radio--there were FIVE different Model Twenty-One radios: The original, the 21/II, 21-FM, 21-AM/FM and 21-CL clock radio. My tech bought the clock mechanisms by the dozen because they were guaranteed to fail

21 extension speaker--single 4" driver in AS enclosure. Was sold with some compact systems too.

24 came as stand-alone speakers or as part of a compact system (system speakers had RCA jacks). There was also a 24/II with a different crossover.

27--nice solid state receiver with signature vernier tuning dials

33--unique semi-ported design like Dynaco speakers

708--variation on the 21 speaker but with a #-D type grille and a filter network

52 receiver--the KLH 5x receivers were pretty good. I think there was a model that was made in the USA but the 52 was made in Japan

55 receiver--also Japanese

There may have been others I've forgotten about....

-Kent

Back to the topic at hand.  I can only comment on two models.

The Fourteens sound really good in a small room.  I am using a pair with the 27 receiver in my <8 x 10 kitchen.

The Twenties sound rather meh to me.  They were powered by a pair of Dynaco Mk III.  It could be that I compared them to a pair of AR-4x...

28 minutes ago, Matthew said:

those twenties from what i read are essentially 4 ohm model 17's right?

On 6/8/2017 at 6:52 PM, JKent said:

20--essentially a 4 ohm version of the 17. Part of a compact system

Right. Same cabinet, same tweeter, same crossover, 4 ohm woofer.

• 2 years later...
On 6/7/2017 at 11:20 AM, DavidDru said:

Nice Matthew!  Love those 28's.  They have been on my radar for a couple years now after finding some stands for them (yes odd).  How do they sound.  Never seem to get a report on what they sound like so I have been cautious about spending a lot of money.

My collection consists of the following: Five, Six, 17, 23, 24, 32.  Model 27 receiver and the model 26 stereo with turntable.

The Fives are in my master bedroom and still need a cap refresh that I never got around to a couple years ago when JKent helped me figure out what I had and needed for them.  The six's also need work, but are a daunting task so are a bit down on the list for now.  I have a post on the forum here about them and the one with the odd cabinet. (There is a good looking pair on CList here now I am watching)  The 17's I recently traded away but will be on the lookout for replacements.  I think KLH hit a sweetspot with the 17.  One of my favorite.  The 23's are great and just need cabinet refinishing.  The 24's will pair up with the 26 stereo.

Here are a couple photos of the 26 stereo I don't think I have ever posted.

Hi, I'm new to this KLH record player. I just bought on model 26, I was wondering if you know how to replace the needle and where can I find a replacement. I been looking on eBay but no luck. 

Thank you so much

1002161553a_resized.jpg

Welcome Chuy

I think all of the KLH compacts used Garrard changers with Pickering cartridges. I cut & pasted this info: "The KLH Model 20 turntable was fitted with a Pickering V-15HB/AT2B phono cartridge and a Pickering D-1507/AT D1507/AT D1507-AT needle stylus."

If you google "KLH Garrard turntable cartridge stylus" you should find some sellers. I found this resource: https://www.turntableneedles.com/find10.asp?manfg=KLH&modelname=Model Twenty Six&Select=Model

and this: https://needlefinder.net/product/4604d7t-for-models-1111fm20242526303435515254557176rc-4-needle-us/

Amazon has it too, or if you want to stick with ebay use KLH Garrard Pickering in your search.

-Kent

vinyl 6.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone - I realize this is an older thread but am hoping some of you are still active and can provide information for me.  I purchased KLH Model 5s back in 1976 from Warehouse Sound.  (Those were fun days - the first of the on-line shopping).

Anyway, several years ago one of the woofers turned into gunk and I was going to purchase a kit to re-do it.  I pulled the speaker and of course, can't find it.  I'm in the process of putting a new fabric on the front of them and replacing the woofer.  As many of you are aware, the KLH 5s used the round magnet as opposed to the square one. 

My question is:  Do most of the woofers with the square magnet work well with my Model 5s?  Have any of you changed out just one and noticed a difference?  One thought I have is to purchase two with the square magnet to be  sure.  I don't know if the round magnet produced a better sound.  Thoughts?

Finally, are any of you aware of a woofer specifically NOT working with the Model 5s?  BTW - I just love the specifications of a 10" or 12" woofer.  Mine measures 10 3/8" across outside frame.  They all appear to be the same?  Or not?

Andy

Hi AndrewJ. Welcome to Classic Speaker Pages.

The Model 5 used the same woofer as the KLH Model 12 and Model 23. If you are looking for replacements you should stick to those models in order to match what you have with the undamaged woofer. There are other KLH 12” woofers, as in the Model 6, but they are different woofers and won’t match your undamaged woofer. You should not have to change out both woofers as long as you can get a replacement that matches what you have.

I think you may be able to find replacement speakers on eBay, but there are none listed when I looked earlier today. You’ll find the woofers for the Model 6 and especially the Model 17 are available more often. Unfortunately, the Fives are harder to find. You may need to act fast when a Model 5 woofer is listed on eBay. I think they get purchased quickly since they are somewhat rare.

You should also consider sealing the new woofer and your existing woofer when you have found a replacement. You won’t get the bass the speaker is capable of delivering unless the speaker is sealed. The correct sealant is only available from the link listed below. Don’t use anything else or it will eventually harden and reduce the speakers capability. The online store is out of the sealant at present, but it will certainly be restocked eventually.

Hope this helped.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/vintage-ar/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

JKent knows more about this than I do. I stand corrected and would go by his advice. I was basing my information on this index:

http://www.aphenos.net/electronics/speakers/klh/all_klh.htm

Thanks for including the thread from that older post, JKent.

I had read that the 12’s and the 5’s had interchangeable woofers from more than one site. I was wondering where you got your information, and it looks pretty definitive.

That’s why I love this site. I always learn something.

I listed the three models as equivalent, and what I've read in Audiokarma
suggests that's true for practical purposes. You commented in that thread,
but I couldn't tell if you noticed audiojones' statement that KLH went to the
more common (smaller) magnet sometime into the production run of Twelves.
Of course, measuring the two types would reveal the truth.

I did read audiojones's statement but have no way of verifying its accuracy. To me, Tom Tyson's explanation makes sense:

The Twelve used almost identical components, but the woofer magnet was significantly larger than the one used in the Five. The reason for this was low-frequency damping: the Twelve used a much larger enclosure, and thus the speaker was more of an infinite-baffle-type loading than true acoustic-suspension; i.e., much of the restoring force for the woofer cone was in the speakers mechanical suspensions itself rather than the air of the enclosure. 

The one pair of Twelves that I owned for a while had the larger magnets. 

But going back to AndrewJ's question, he's looking for woofers for his Model Fives (wonderful speakers IMHO). I'd say the most important thing is to use a pair that match. And since the Fives had the smaller magnet I would not recommend large magnet replacements. And I totally agree with Norman Nicolai: Re-seal the surrounds with the goo developed by RoyC and sold by Vintage-AR. It is the ONLY sealer to use and it makes a HUGE difference. I sold my Fives because they were underwhelming but at the last minute I re-doped the surrounds and was amazed by the improvement (still sold them though 😠)