AR 2

Chianski

Hi new to the forum. Just recently discovered the "east coast" sound with a KLH 23 rebuild and now I caught the bug lol. Was at a estate sale recently and stumbled across a pair of AR2's for very cheap and couldn't resist, they had both badges and perfect grills, only blemish is on one speaker someone had sawed the backside out and rigged some wood panels to enclose it up. Decided to take the Gamble since I could see both speakers had original drivers and no real modifications beside the one with the sawed off backside. Well I was wrong... the sawed out one had the original woofer sawed out and left the original AR cone in place then rigged in a piece of wood behind it and put in a Realistic woofer ugh. So my question is what do I look for in trying to replace the woofer driver with a original, is this size woofer only in the original AR 2 or will I be able to find one that will work from a different model. It's the AR 2 with the dual tweeters and I think it's a 10in woofer.. any and all help would be greatly appreciated and thank you.

23 hours ago, Chianski said:

he sawed out one had the original woofer sawed out and left the original AR cone in place then rigged in a piece of wood behind it

Sounds awful but hard to visualize. Pics are always good. The AR-2 is a nice speaker that would benefit from the addition of an outboard supertweeter, such as the MicroAcoustics (or a more modern version).

Welcome to the CSP!

-Kent

MicroStatic tweeter.jpg

1 hour ago, Chianski said:

took forever to get these pics to upload.

....and it didn't work. Those are *png files, which apparently aren't supported. You need a *.jpg file and each one should be roughly 100kB. The pic I posted above, for example, is 86kB.

Hmmm, this is strange. I looked at this thread earlier today and the pics were viewable at that time and I saw that funky woofer attached to the plywood panel. O well, Kent's advice is perfect and will work fine - - jpeg format around 100kB. 

Archived