Might get a few treasures soon...

lakecat

An extremely nice woman that I am completely redoing a condo for....I mean..new kitchen...new baths...paint and flooring throughout...and doors...and is coming from Illinois to here in Ohio when I get done.....mentioned she had a house that her uncle had nearby and got it when he passed away.

She told me she is simply going to clean out the house and sell it but that she remembered saying I collected vintage speakers. She showed me a couple pics she took of some speakers. They were dark...(no electric) but could make an A on grill and the AR badge below. She told me when I come back in June, I can go over there with her and take whatever I want! .....as she absolutely has no interest in anything there...(yea..she's loaded). I about fell down as she said there is other stuff there. I am hoping it's some good stuff! 

The grill however looked like a 2ax grill but certainly had that A on it. 

Ohio! Ohio! The best AR speakers come from Ohio. Or is that Chicago? Man I would be like a kid on Christmas Eve night. Hope to see you at Midwest Audiofest in July. This time I wont miss you. Good Luck.

Hi Larry...yes...got a spot saved and bringing a few things to sell. 

And I am excited to see what's there. The last time I had a situation like this, I picked up a Marantz Model 7c and some rare AR 3's....... can lightning strike twice? Probably not...but can't wait.

Thanks guys.......I was talking by cell to her today about quartz countertops and wants come here and shop for matching backsplash for it. I said we would...as soon as you take me to that damn house!..lol. She laughed and said....."I think there is some other speakers there with an Infinity name, Does that ring a bell?".....lol....I told her you are killing me....woman.

Well....went to the house to meet her and came away with a good score of goods. Just got it unloaded awhile ago and will go thru everything tomorrow evening. The AR ax's are in great shape and will test tomorrow. Even an AR amp! There is a slew of audio equipment that I have to go thru...and even a few extras that I am excited about. One is the Sega Genesis that is brand new...never used and still wrapped in packages in box. In addition is a very nice camera tripod. The Infinity speakers are the emit tweeter two way. Feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. 

The owner was a hoarder and there is still so much to go thru. She is coming back on the 23rd and going back over.....:)

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

I know!...crazy good fortune. Quick research last night. The Infinity speakers are the RSe line...4 ohm of course...lol...does up to hundred watts...but will have to refoam these. Looks brittle as hell. Seems a decent little speaker. 

A used Sega console like this one sold for six hundred bucks w fifty games...

The AR3's were in a large stereo cabinet so no abuse...great shape! The AR amp seems to need work...so going to take it to my tech to see if it can be saved.

This stuff was all free!...crazy.

5 hours ago, lakecat said:

The AR3's were in a large stereo cabinet so no abuse...great shape!

3s AND 2ax's??? And those little Rat Shack super tweeters are supposed to work well with classic AR if you want a little more sparkle.

48 minutes ago, JKent said:

3s AND 2ax's??? And those little Rat Shack super tweeters are supposed to work well with classic AR if you want a little more sparkle.

Ooops...No 3's ..just the ax's. Those super tweeters were hooked up in that house so was wondering about them.

Got the ax's in the room tonight and hooked them up. All original so not expecting much....but they sound fantastic!....I mean I was blown away by their sound. Crisp clean highs and buttery lows....and the pots worked semi good...and I sat there and thought...no way...they have never been touched!

I couldn't stand it so I worked and worked sooo slowly on peeling the grill back a little.....and shined a flashlight in...and saw the magic. 

It had the large AR2a tweeter in it and the cloth woofer....and just stood there and smiled. It is a magic combo.

I never knew the ax had that tweeter...hell...my 3's have that tweeter!..and never knew it had the cloth woofer. They sound so good...I am not touching anything right now but what a combo.....

Nice pair of the early version of the AR2ax (1964-1970) sporting the a stick pins and cloth woofers with the orange hard dome tweeters of the 3 and 2a. I love original untouched vintage AR's. Here are examples of the three front wired versions of the 2ax's I have.  Left is a 1970-71 version with the 11 in woofer basket used in transition. The center is the version like yours and on the right is smaller woofer basket version 1971-75. The round dust caps were added when I refoamed them with Boston filled fillet type surrounds. Maybe I should have fabricated some flat dust caps like the original. There were some with back wired tweeters late in production. I have seen this in AR5's but not so far in 2ax's.

Ny9FQOW.jpg

If your rear sheets are in place, what are the serial numbers? Also all I have seen have the Chicago Industrial wax  cap blocks, but I  keep looking for the ones with the oil filled military grade caps. Enjoy your find.

LarryinIN

Thanks....got lucky...as I figured they would be trashed. Never imagined bringing them home and hearing them sound as good as they do. I had a pair of the version you have on the right several years ago but these stick out as sounding much better. My serial numbers are ax 118587 and 118797. These sound so good, I am not opening them up right now....and are in excellent shape.

Archived