KLH Model 20 questions

Robthomp

Hi,

Is $70 a reasonable price for a pair of Model 20's supposedly in good condition? I'm putting together a vintage system for a friend who just bought a condo and has over 1000 vinyl records she hasn't listened to in years. I thought I would charge her whatever I'm paying for the components, and then my time and effort - shopping, tuning up, recapping if necessary, etc- will be my gift.  But if I overpay then I wouldn't be doing her a favor. 

I got a Kenwood KR-5030 which is in great condition and I thought I would pair this with the Model 20's.   Does that sound like it would be a good match? The 5030 supports 4-16 ohm impedance and has 60 wpc of power. I know the Model 20's are 4 ohm. 

Thanks,

Rob

Reasonable, yes, (unless there are shipping charges) though the Twenty and its brother
the Seventeen can sometimes be acquired inexpensively if you have the time to wait. I
got a pair of the latter for $38 shipped. The system should sound very good.

6 hours ago, dxho said:

Reasonable, yes, (unless there are shipping charges) though the Twenty and its brother
the Seventeen can sometimes be acquired inexpensively if you have the time to wait. I
got a pair of the latter for $38 shipped. The system should sound very good.

Thanks. I know what you mean about shipping charges, they can be significant (sometimes more than the item itself!). These speakers are on Craigslist so I just have to drive 45 minutes to get them. 

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and purchased this pair of Model 20s. I put them in my living room alongside the newly restored AR-2axs and AR-4xs and did various listening comparisons.   My girlfriend and I both agreed that the KLH speakers, while they sounded nice, noticeably lacked mid and high notes, and the bass sounded a little muddy.   There was no comparison with the AR-4xs.   Even though the AR-4x is smaller than the KLH Model  20, it had much richer bass.  

That was then, this is now.  A couple of weeks ago I had time to do the refurb on the Model 20s.  I replaced the caps with new Dayton Audio PMPC caps, replaced the resistors, resealed the woofer surround, and resoldered some joints that were causing intermittent connections to the RCA jacks in the back.  In other words, the standard refurb.   What a difference!   The mids and highs are bright and nice (but not too bright!), and the bass sounds a little more responsive and richer.   They compare favorably with the AR-4x. I wonder what others think about the KLH twenty vs the AR-4x.

Nice, Rob!

I have AR-4x's and have had KLH Seventeens and Twenties but never did a side-by-side comparison. But I agree with your findings--the KLH speakers MUST be recapped, and once done they are very nice. The resealing of the woofer surrounds was undoubtedly a good idea, too. New resistors? The originals were 7W, which should be fine but resistors are cheap so I guess it couldn't hurt ;)

The Kenwood should be a very good receiver to use with those 4ohm speakers. I'm sure the built-in amp in the Model Twenty compact system didn't have anywhere near 60 watts. Enjoy!

-Kent

Some of the big KLH speakers--the Five and Twelve--used 5w resistors and I always recommend replacing those. I've seen burned and cracked 5w in those models.