A few more sections

Pete B

I'd like to ask for a few more new sections, if it's not too much trouble:

Bozak

Vandersteen

Dahlquist

Vandersteen is not New England based, but this still seems to be a good site for it.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

and thanks for the site!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

>I'd like to ask for a few more new sections, if it's not too

>much trouble:

>Bozak

>Vandersteen

>Dahlquist

>

>Vandersteen is not New England based, but this still seems to

>be a good site for it.

>

>Happy Holidays Everyone!

>and thanks for the site!

If Mark can create an all electronics only forum I am sure it would be well supported.

I would suggest that the first words in any of it's headings would be the brand name and maybe model number next.

We have already got one very long forum discussion in AR which I know is overloaded and I usually have difficulty wading to what is current.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

>Hi Pete,

>

>Can you give me more information on the New England nexus with

>these companies?

>

>Thanks,

>

>Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm not a historian but I'll take a shot at this question.

I listed Bozak because a friend is/was a collector, I don't have as much interest now. In any case Rudi Bozak's company in Norwalk CT, built and sold LARGE infinite baffle home systems, some nearly the size of a large refrigerator. Four 12" woofers, two 5" mids, and a slot loaded line array of 8 tweeters in the largest. I'm not a fan of these designs but they are historically significant.

Dahlquist is famous for the DQ-10 probably one of the top 100 speakers of all time. I believe that they were NY based, not sure. I plan to reverse engineer these some day (in the next 10 or 20 years)just out of curiosity and because they sold so well. http://www.dahlquistcorporation.com/

Vandersteen, is a CA based company and their 2C model is probably one of the largest selling entry/mid level audiophile speakers. This speaker will go down as a classic no doubt, certainly one of the top 100 of all time. They have good and bad features as most do and I have a lot of comments/thoughts about them. I'll probably put them on my own web page at some point. http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/2celit.html

Spica would be nice, also a West Coast company I think, their TC-50 model will go down in the top 100. I started a web page where I have a start to reverse engineer them:

http://members.aol.com/basconsultants/sptc50_ovr.htm

Also:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equi.../spicafever.htm

EPI and Genesis have many similarities however I think having them together makes it a bit confusing, they were not exactly the same. I'm currently rebuilding a pair of Genesis 2s and have a few comments.

It just seems easier to find the info if they have their own sections.

Pete B.

How could I forget Dynaco, started by David Hafler, they were PA based IIRC. Now their speakers were made for them in Europe but they just seem American and the A-25 is certainly a classic. I have a few things to say about these.

Pete B.

>How could I forget Dynaco, started by David Hafler, they were

>PA based IIRC. Now their speakers were made for them in

>Europe but they just seem American and the A-25 is certainly a

>classic. I have a few things to say about these.

>

>Pete B.

Hi there;

Dynaco has a great display site by Greg Dunn.

It is not being up-dated but visually is a site to set high standards by.

It does not have a discussion group setting and Dynaco classic electronics have a great following and modification history.

Ebay has many Dynaco items for sale at any one time, and some pieces bring many hundreds of dollars more than they sold for new over 25 years ago.

The Dynaco A-25 and it's several variants had sales of over one million units.

They were made in Denmark and imported exclusivly by Dynaco.

The prototype was a 4 ohm version but Dynaco specified 8 ohms.

There was Seas and Scan drivers used in production.

The same more common 8 ohm Seas tweeter was used in the A-10, A-25, A-35 and A-50 speaker systems.

The A-10 used a smaller 8 ohm woofer, the A-25 and A-35 used the same 8 ohm 10" woofer and the A-50 use 2 - 10" 16 ohms in parallel woofers.

On ebay occassionly, I see mismatched pairs for sale.

Seas woofers and tweeters and also Scan woofers and tweeters.

The vent opening above the tweeter, was the earlier versions of the A-25 and below the woofer in most all of the production.

There is even on rare occassion, a mirrored pair.

Seas woofers had horns protruding at the bolt holes and the Scan had perfectly round perimeters.

I feel this would be a good company to have it's own forum.

Archived