WHAT AR SPEAKERS ARE THESE

lARrybody

Currently listed on the auction site are a pair of AR speakers that the seller cannot identify. I can't recall any models quite like these. Are they some kind of custom one of a kind user fabrication or could they be some kind of factory prototype? I am pretty sure these are not AR 38's due to the size, tweeter model and placement and also the terminal plate.

s-l1600_zpsqsm7dpuo.jpg

Here is the complete listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262934211929?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From the cabinet dimensions given I would put them as AR 14's. The cabinet lacks the groove in the veneer around the front and also the lower trim panel. The woofer appears to be correct, but that 1 3/8 tweeter belongs in the AR 18 and 25, not in a AR 14. The grill is definitely aftermarket. If theses were originally AR 14's they would have to have new baffles because of the cutout for the 1 in. dome tweeter. Any thoughts on what these are or could of been originally? 

Interesting specimens, and as dxho surmises, definitely a European model - - as evidenced by England address on label - - but was unable to locate specific model from library literature. Cabinets are listed as 25"h x 14"w x 11"d, so I would suspect this is essentially a Euro version of the AR-8 (10" foam woofer, 1-1/4" cone tweeter, 24"h x 13.5"w x 11.5"d) with an improved baffle layout but without the HF switch control. 

AR-8.jpg

On 4/23/2017 at 8:47 AM, larrybody said:

Currently listed on the auction site are a pair of AR speakers that the seller cannot identify. I can't recall any models quite like these. Are they some kind of custom one of a kind user fabrication or could they be some kind of factory prototype? I am pretty sure these are not AR 38's due to the size, tweeter model and placement and also the terminal plate.

s-l1600_zpsqsm7dpuo.jpg

Here is the complete listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262934211929?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From the cabinet dimensions given I would put them as AR 14's. The cabinet lacks the groove in the veneer around the front and also the lower trim panel. The woofer appears to be correct, but that 1 3/8 tweeter belongs in the AR 18 and 25, not in a AR 14. The grill is definitely aftermarket. If theses were originally AR 14's they would have to have new baffles because of the cutout for the 1 in. dome tweeter. Any thoughts on what these are or could of been originally? 

I think these are the European version of the AR-38s, a 1980s update to the somewhat miserable AR-8.  This would be the 10-inch woofer and the updated 1-1/4-inch AR-6/AR-7/AR-MST tweeter (back-wired version with Ferrofluid).  The bass response would be slightly better than the AR-8, as this version had a lower resonance due to the larger cabinet.

--Tom Tyson

Those look a lot like my domestic AR38s speakers.

IMG_0463_zpsauaattxv.jpg

The speakers in question are no longer available. I am still convinced they are some type of hybrid ADD speakers. They have the same dimensions as the AR 11,12 and 14 cabinets. The same thin front reveal. Same woofer gasket and fabric dust cap. A tweeter from that series and terminal plate only used in ADD speakers. I guess we will never know unless the new owner comes forward with more information. 

Archived