any tips for Walnut touch-up?

batchman

Howdy -

I figure this would be the right place to ask - has anyone found a stain or such that's a good match for touching up nicks/dents/scratches etc, the kind that don't tempt you to re-finish?

And since I've opened the concept, how about the inevitable sun bleaching?  Has anyone found a treatment that "helps", either preventing or minimizing?

I have a lot of ADS walnut around this place and I'd love to #1 prevent further degradation and #2 lessen some of the "hey, look at me" things that happen (especially to used buys).  I bet I'm not the only one...

Cheers,

- Jeff

Welcome Jeff

Howard Restore-a-Finish is meant for just the circumstance you describe--scratches etc. that don't tempt you to re-finish. http://howardproducts.com/restor-a-finish/

As for the sun bleaching I'm not sure. R-A-F does come tinted so maybe.

-Kent

• 4 weeks later...

My similar Olde English stuff seemed too dark, maybe this is a better match.  I was really thinking more along the lines of a fine paintbrush for a couple nicks & scratches but maybe this is the best way.

So Kent, have you tried this on actual 25+ year old ADS walnut?  I thought I recalled these were lacquered but they don't seem much like other things I have in that finish.  The wood does seem "thirsty".

Thanks,

- Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you are correct regarding a lacquer finish.

MayI suggest getting a can of gloss lacquer, and using a small artists brush and touching up the areas that need attention.

Try a small area first. Lacquer stinks, so I'd say do this in the garage or outside.

Sorry-- I was away when you posted this.

On 5/20/2017 at 10:19 PM, batchman said:

So Kent, have you tried this on actual 25+ year old ADS walnut?

No. Never had ADS speakers.

On 5/20/2017 at 10:19 PM, batchman said:

I thought I recalled these were lacquered but they don't seem much like other things I have in that finish

The Howard product is recommended for that kind of problem. OTOH, Glen is very skiled at restoring veneer, so maybe try his suggestion.

-Kent

Archived