AR38s 10" Woofer issue

John T

Hi all.

one of my beloved AR38s speakers (c.1984) has been steadily playing up particularly at low volume and now only the tweeter is working. The 10" Woofer resistance measured alone is 6.3 ohms and its cross over choke measures 0.6ohms - does this appear right? Ideally I hope the speaker is fine & I'd like to replace the crossover network as precaution on both sets of speakers now.

Cheers John

58fa44a53d278_File_000(1).thumb.jpeg.c459a170a9b86078dbd1aacb707689c0.jpeg

Welcome, John.

Hard to say what the problem might be, but sounds to me like a loose wire connection somewhere in the woofer circuit. This image was picked from another site, but it is purportedly the wiring diagram for the AR-38s.

AR-38s x-o.jpg

My first thought would be to swap the left speaker with the right and see if the problem speaker is still present. After eliminating the wires and amplifier as a cause deffinantly look at the solder connections and speaker  connectors. Those spring loaded clips are espically problematic.  New 6uf capucators are probably in order. Caps can fail open or closed or just go out of spec. Keep eliminating things till you find the culprit. You could swap woofers and see what happens. Hope that is not the problem. 

a cap shouldn't in line w/woofer, but parallel if it's a 2nd order xover.....I suppose if it shorted, it would divert power through it, but I would think it would do bad things to the amp....probably bad solder joint.....try pulling out the woofer and touching the speaker wire directly to the driver terminals.  if it plays, it's an open in the xover somewhere

Thanks very much for all your help and support as it did turn out to be only a poor soldered connection on the 10" speaker terminal as you suspected. They are now back in full working order again and I'm a very happy man. My wife can't understand how anyone could be so passionate about speakers, now she knows I'm not alone when it comes to our ARs :)

Cheers John T

Archived