Smooth Move

der

I've been doing some work in the kitchen and had some wood in the garage that I was staining. During the warm months my restored AR4x reside out there as part of my garage system. Long story short, I managed to splash stain on one of the grill cloths.  One of my better moves lately.  At any rate, someone here a couple of years  ago recommended a source for cloth that closely resembled the original.  I think it had tea in the name.  I can find no record of my purchase back then.  If that rings a bell with anyone please chime in.  I'd include a picture of the deed but I can't bear to photograph it.

Thanks,

der

Michale's has some 28 count Irish Tea Linen at a good price, espically if you use the 40% off coupon. I soaked my cloth in some diluted bleach water and made it even lighter. 

ditto Larry & Gene.

For your garage, I'd go with Michael's. And if I understand your post, that's what you used but just can't remember the source. It's called Irish Linen although it's now from Poland. It's in the needlepoint section. Maker is CharlesCraft, color is "Tea" and it's $7.99 for a 20" x 24" piece:  http://www.michaels.com/10357706.html#q=irish+linen&start=23 

With 40% off coupon it's about 5 bux. 28 count so a little on the fine side but nice. I recommend not soaking it, because it will shrink. Apply it to the frames first, then spray with water and it will shrink to be nice and tight.

Of course the Wichelt 18 ct lambswool is the most authentic but I think it's too much for garage speakers.

Only problem is the availability of the CharlesCraft has been a little spotty. If you get stuck PM me and I'll buy it here and mail it to you. It may not be a perfect match for the other speaker if you used the Irish Linen that was actually from Ireland on these but it's pretty close, and it's the garage, and you may have another mishap some time.

Here are some AR-7s I did with the CharlesCraft fabric (sorta wish I still had them.....)

-Kent

AR7.jpg

Here is the Irish tea linen on my AR4X's. One piece will do both speakers. I bleached it slightly to lighten it up a bit. You can see the left over piece. Did not notice much shrinkage. Dried it between bath towels then ironed with a little spray starch. Not bad for five dollars. The Wichelt 18 ct. lambswool is nicer stuff, but more expensive.

IMG_0458_zpsyzldpokr.jpg  

Thank you all for your responses. I think J Kent hit it on the head. I do believe that is the cloth and source I used. Since only one speaker cloth was damaged I'd prefer just to fix that one and I want it to match the other. 

Looks like it's out of stock at Michael's at the moment. 

der

7 hours ago, dxho said:

Michael's is the best price, but it's also listed on Walmart, Amazon, ebay...

Thank you dxho! 

It is slightly darker than the original but good looking none-the-less. Here's a pic of mine after installing that grill cloth. 

AR4x.JPG

Those look really great, too, der. 

As far as the "original" color of these grille cloths, that's pretty difficult to determine since many of these are near to 50 years old and most have experienced some degree of discoloration. In any case, always good to know there is a very decent alternative to the costly 1-2-3 stitch fabric, and all three pics in this thread look as near to "original" as I can recall.     

1 hour ago, genek said:

My brand new AR-2ax's in 1975. Unfortunately, I lacked the foresight to take closer shots that could be better references 47 years later.1975.JPG

That tape deck looks familiar. It's a Teac is it not? Think I had one just like it. Wish I still did. 

der

Archived