recapping epi 104c

richiekie1969

I'm 66 and I'm trying to recreate my stereo system from the 70's. I just picked up some 104c's. The cabinets are mint. The woofers need to be refoamed. I found info on how to do that, and it doesn't seem too hard. I want to replace the caps. I found the cap next to the tweeter. I can barely see it. It's attached to the cabinet somehow. I don't know if it's glued on or what. Could someone tell me how to unattach the cap from the cabinet without ruining anything? Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. I am unfamiliar with your speakers but the caps are usually glued down to the crossover board or cabinet on most speakers of this vintage. If you are going to replace the caps then cut the wires as near to the body of the old cap as you can. That gives better options for using that wire for attaching the replacement cap. Once the old cap is cut free you can work on getting it free from its glued mounting to the cabinet.  If you do not know the value of the caps that need replacing make sure you do not obliterate the markings on them trying to get them away from the cabinet.

Some caps age better than others so there is a possibility that the caps do not need replacing.

It is always a good idea to post some pictures along the way, especially if you have any difficulties. I'm sure others will help out here who are more familiar with your speakers.

Archived