External Jumper on AR crossovers

AlgoRhythms

This has probably been answered before.

Why did AR put an external jumper on their crossovers?  Why add an additional binding post and why risk the end user not having the jumper connected.

Wouldn't it have been easier to make that connection internally to the woofer inductor?

I'm sure there was a good reason.  But I don't see it.

Thanks for replies.

Michael

For that to be the case, one would have to connect the T terminal and the 1 terminal (neg)  in order to complete the circuit through the woofer inductor, right?  One would not use the normal 2 or pos terminal.

1 hour ago, AlgoRhythms said:

For that to be the case, one would have to connect the T terminal and the 1 terminal (neg)  in order to complete the circuit through the woofer inductor, right?  One would not use the normal 2 or pos terminal.

For what to be the case?

Just to clarify:

-For woofer-only operation the negative amp lead is connected to cabinet input terminal #1, and the positive amp lead is connected to cabinet input terminal #2, with the jumper between #2 and "T" disconnected.

-For tweeter/mid-only operation the negative amp lead is again connected to #1, but the positive amp lead is connected to "T", with jumper disconnected.

In AR models with the jumper arrangement, the tweeter/mid series crossover capacitors are placed on the negative side of the circuit, and the woofer inductor is on the positive side.

Roy

I was looking at the schematic of an AR 5.  For woofer only operation one connects negative to terminal 1 and positive to terminal T, leaving terminal 2 disconnected.

Am I misunderstanding this?

3 hours ago, AlgoRhythms said:

Hmmmm.... i don't see that.  In that configuration the mid and tweeter is completely out of the circuit.

BTW, I have no desire to do this.  I just wanted to know why AR put the jumper external.

ar-5_schematic.pdf

As Carl mentioned, the ability to listen to the acoustic suspension woofers by themselves was considered a big deal back when the AR's were first introduced. Acoustic suspension WAS the big technology innovation ... deep bass with extremely low distortion from a small box!

Fast forward 50 years and those three terminals can be used for bi-amping with common ground amps. That is, we "split the load". One amp is dedicated to the acoustic suspension woofers and another amp is dedicated to the mids/tweeters.

Further, if both amps are integrated (with volume controls), you gain control over the speaker's voice far better than with those controls on the back of the speaker.

Today, almost all high quality speakers come from the manufacturers pre-wired for bi-amping, so once again, AR was way, way ahead of its time.

Regards,

Jerry 

2 hours ago, AlgoRhythms said:

Hmmmm.... i don't see that.  In that configuration the mid and tweeter is completely out of the circuit.

BTW, I have no desire to do this.  I just wanted to know why AR put the jumper external.

ar-5_schematic.pdf

I see the reason for your question. The schematic you are referencing is incorrect, as it shows the woofer coil connected to the "T" terminal. The schematics below are correct. The 2nd one (pdf) is an original AR drawing.

Roy

AR-5 xover.jpg

AR-5 schematic (from AR).pdf

Archived