Single Wharfedale W45

I went to Goodwill this morning (hunting for ARs) and saw a single Wharfedale W45. I was not familiar with this brand of speakers but I could tell by looking at it that it looked like a good quality speaker from around the sixties or seventies. For $10 I couldn't resist. The cabinet is in very nice shape. Brought it home and hooked it up - it sounds really nice.  Smooth rich sound.  I read a little online - 3 way, acoustic suspension.  Too bad there was only one.

Can anyone tell me about this make/model?

The W series Warfdales where a very nice 3 way acoustic suspended system. The W45 where the larger version of the W35.  The W series was Gilbert Briggs foray into accoutic suspension. I very much like their sound. My W35's are very good with Barque music. They sound wonderful with tube type amp's. Recapping the crossover is in order.  Be careful with the speakers replacements are virtually impossible to find. For more info please visit the Warfdale forum at Audiokarma. 

4 minutes ago, Transmaster said:

The W series Warfdales where a very nice 3 way acoustic suspended system. The W45 where the larger version of the W35.  The W series was Gilbert Briggs foray into accoutic suspension. I very much like their sound. My W35's are very good with Barque music. They sound wonderful with tube type amp's. Recapping the crossover is in order.  Be careful with the speakers replacements are virtually impossible to find. For more info please visit the Warfdale forum at Audiokarma. 

Thanks! I just discovered Audiokarma. 

I went back to Goodwill today and they had the other Wharfedale W45! Now I have the pair.  That's so funny because yesterday I asked the employee if she could go in the back and check just to make sure and she said they didn't have it. I don't know why they put them out in two separate days, but I'm not complaining. 

That is great!!!! The W series Wharfdales are really good. You will need to recap the crossovers the cap's they originally used were not good from the get go. You don't have to get fancy with the replacements. My favorite is the Axon True Cap's they are not expensive and once burnt in really improve the sound. http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_axon.html the only trouble you will have is these Axon's are somewhat larger than the originals. You can also get good replacements from Parts Express.  The "W's" are wonderful with tube type amp's.  

Transmaster, thanks for the information about the caps. I have another issue.  After removing the grills I see that the surround is torn on one of the woofers. The surrounds look like they may be rubber, and are inverted.  Is there a replacement surround available, or some way to patch it?

Rob

There are several places you can get replacement surrounds. Parts Express is one such place. This is a good thing to ask on this Classic Speaker forum there are a lot of people there in who have more experience doing this then I do. If you don't feel up to it you can send the speakers to outfits that can do the job for you. Simply Speakers is one such outfit which has good reviews over at Audiokarma.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/

Archived