AR2Ax Midrange replacement

mfaz28

The 2ax and 5 have very different crossovers. It's probably not impossible, but it's a much bigger job than just swapping out the drivers. 

Original cone drivers show up on ebay all the time, cheap.

3 hours ago, mfaz28 said:

I'm sure I accidentally fried my midranges after a complete overhaul. What is the current best recommendation for replacements, including an upgrade to AR5 status? Thanks....

From one newbie to another, doing my first overhaul, what did you do to fry them, so I'll know not to do that?

Rob

30 minutes ago, Robthomp said:

From one newbie to another, doing my first overhaul, what did you do to fry them, so I'll know not to do that?

Rob

good question! as others have said, 2ax mids are fairly plentiful and I see no less than a half dozen on the bay for sale right now. get guidance before just buying some but generally $30-$50 per driver. try to get a set that comes from a set as opposed to singles of different life journeys.

posting a wanted to buy in this forum is an option as well.

good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions, this is a very helpful, like minded bunch!

welcome

Thanks for the info. Fried via volume knob exuberance. Just bought an original pair from E@ay. Still would like to increase durability of the midrange with potential new replacements, as in the future the supply is inevitably going to dwindle. I've been very pleased with the new tweeter recommendation per the expertise developed here. 

7 minutes ago, genek said:

Surprising that you fried the mids but the tweeters are still working.

That was my exact thought as well.

My experience with a number of these drivers has shown DC resistance to fall between 6.3 and 7.2 ohms, but that is just a working guideline to check your "new" pair.

Ar2ax's were produced and sold in large quantities. Like the Pioneer SX-780. Lots of stuff out there. The tweeters are the delicate driver in this model, thus the higher prices for them. Mid ranges not so much.

I will apply all advice offered ASAP. Including meter check on the incoming pair. Just surprised that an appropriate replacement hasn't been explored. Tweeters were already replaced, hence the next vulnerable component was the mid's? ........Thanks.

Thanks...Think'n I missed the resistor mod to the L-Pads and thats what surrendered. I'll know in the nest couple of days. After the snow stops in western NY, and I can park the snow blower. At least I'll have a spare set of mid's.....Stay tuned...Different bat time......Same bat channel.....

While I've been waiting for my stock replacements to arrive. Ive been pondering my possible mistakes. The only difference (so far) that I can come up with. Is the re-routing of the wiring from direct, to through my sub via the high output connects. Possibly increasing my amps output so that the mid's and tweeters are seeing much higher output? I say this because I never exceeded the previous highest volume level used. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived