My AR90 xover rebuild

DavidR

I decided it's time to begin my adventure into rebuilding the crossovers in my AR90's. AR Surround's thread kind of got me to it. Also I have noticed the Right speaker (UMR) was not quite as loud as the left - so its time. I pulled a woofer to take a peek. One crossover was very neat and looked easy to remove the old caps. The other was well, uumm ........ here's a picture. Looking for ideas on how to clear away the mass amount of glue. The glue is still a bit gummy but still hard.

My wife and son go away during April vacation to Newport so that's going to be prime time to work on them.

130_3061_r1.jpg

AR90 Caps.xlsx

I think Isopropanol  / Isopropyl is good for cleaning off the old hot melt glue.  The alcohol loosens the glue, and allows it to be removed with a paint scraper, or putty knife.

Good luck with the project.  Obviously, I'm interested in the results!

Yup, a LOAD of glue.

I dribbled 2ml of iospropanol over the glue and was able to release the piece that had flowed jsut off the board and a bit of other chips. The reaally great news is I was also able to release the 24uF cap and what was stuck onto the 2 tweeter resistors and the lower lead from the 4uF.

Little by little I will work away at it.

Any idea how much I can flex the resistors w/o breaking a wire? I'm being careful and slow as I move them but I am not being forceful.

I've been prying away at this glue with a small screwdriver. Its a slow tedious process. THEN I thought.....I have an old soldering pen that I don't use. I dug it out from the back of a drawer and voila! Melt through this stuff. This will make it easier to remove the glue from the 24uF cap wire and lug point. I can even plug it into my Weller variable heat controller.

Archived