M-907 to be restored

DavidDru

I found a very nice original owner set of Dahlquist M-907's listed on Craigs List in a town I was heading to for business and was driving.  After some research on-line, and there was not a whole lot out there, it seems the entire M line is overshadowed by the much more popular and in service DQ line.  The little I was able to read on them, folks were really surprised and impressed once they heard them.  That's the sort of stuff I like to be on the look out for.  Sneaky good.

These are a 3 way model that is somewhere between floorstanding and a large format bookshelf that came with it's own stands.  For me to bother, they had to have the stands and these did.  Overall they are in great shape and will not require much exterior work.  The grille fabric could be replaced but that will be a bit more challenging than usual even though it is juts the modern black stuff.  Each grill is trimmed on each side nicely with solid wood slats but the fabric is attached underneath them.  I am sure they are glued and possibly doweled on so I will hope to get lucky and be able to pop these off once I try.  Till then I will just clean them up and see if the few small holes and snags just kinda fade away once clean.

These have the Advent woofer with Vifa tweets and mids.  The surrounds are deteriorating and I already have replacements ready to go from Rick Cobb. the baffle is coverd with felt and I am not sure if that is for looks or for some sound reasoning.  Doesn't matter as I think it is a nice touch either way.  I have them hooked up and playing at low volume and even with that they really do sound nice so I am looking forward to post new surrounds.

0303171045_resized.jpg

0303171046_resized.jpg

0303171044c_resized.jpg

0303171044b_resized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I read the review of these years ago but forgot about them, and people ask me what

would make a good LA 3-way - here it is!

What is that power amp?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not responding earlier Pete.  The amp is a Phase Linear 400 that has been rebuilt entirely to the White Oak up grade.  WOPL as most refer to it as.  Phenomenal.  Powerful.

Now found some DQ-M5's  A smaller 2 way.  Also very good after new surrounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived