At picture limit....how to delete

lakecat

I recently found out that I hit my limit of pictures being posted of I think....200MB...and now can no longer post pics. I looked over and over at trying to delete older pics but have not found a way to do it. Have a note in to Admin but no response so asking here if anyone knows how to delete old pics. Mine go back to 2012 or so. Thanks for any reply.

I cannot figure out how to help you clear up some space to post new pics, but your question is a very good one, and it prompted me for the first time to review my own status regarding the 200MB limit. I have been posting tons of pics to this site since 2011, and for comparison, my current total is up to 42% of capacity (84MB). My history does show that I have erroneously posted handfuls of images in the 1MB range or larger, but the size of the great majority of my images is consciously kept to below 100KB each, and always in jpeg format.

I'm sure you'll get the help you need to continue posting pics, but in the meantime, it is a good time to remind members that it is normally not necessary to post pics with large file sizes, and for most instances, 100KB should be more than sufficient.   

What he needs to do is use the attachment viewer (in the drop down menu list when you click on your name in the upper right hand corner) to find an image he wants to delete, click on the link to the post to enter the post and then edit it to remove the image. I don't think there are any other editing tools on the site. 
When you are in the post edit mode you will see the pic. It should have a small trash can symbol embedded in the pic. 
This appears to be the only way (i.e. one at-a-time) to delete attachments according to Gene, the other CSP mod. Tedious but effective. 

Thanks, Carl. Sometimes when reading "older" threads, it is difficult to understand the entire content when following discussion that clearly references pics that seemingly no longer exist. In these cases, is it most likely that the original pics have already been deleted in the manner that you have mentioned? 

1 hour ago, ra.ra said:

Thanks, Carl. Sometimes when reading "older" threads, it is difficult to understand the entire content when following discussion that clearly references pics that seemingly no longer exist. In these cases, is it most likely that the original pics have already been deleted in the manner that you have mentioned? 

That's true...sometimes. There have been major CSP SW upgrades over the years that have also contributed to the disappearance of attachments; much to the thread and poster author's (and searcher's) disappointment. 

If you have image editing software, download the old image, reduce it in size or move the "quality" slider down a bit (or both) and save it as a smaller file. Then you can delete the original and replace it.

You can reduce jpgs down to 50k and they will still work well in the forum.

Archived