AR3a woofers ready for refoam...but??

abrasiveguy

The Former/voice coil assembly could be damaged. I have a woofer that will need to be repaired. It has a slight crease in the former, but doesn't rub. It has considerable distortion in play, though. The "restoring the AR3A pdf" will have some pics to compare.

you could set it either face up or face down, and run a test tone at low volume through it.  if the former/voice coil is fine, it shouldn't make any rubbing noise...it's probably fine, the spiders are quite soft, and without power to them or surrounds,the cones can flop around a bit....

On 2/24/2017 at 2:08 PM, abrasiveguy said:

I am ready to reform my woofers, but noticed that one of them makes a slight rubbing sound when pushed down in the center.  The other is silent when I do the same.  Does this Matter?  Thanks.

If you are using shims to center the cone for re-foaming (and you should) you will need to lift or remove the dust cap. Many of these woofers will have creased or torn voice coil formers, which will cause rubbing. This issue can only be seen in this way.

Before anyone mentions it with the inevitable testimonial, this is not the situation in which to use the 30hz tone method of re-foaming a woofer. There is nothing more precise than the use of shims, and their use provides the benefit (along with inspection of the voice coil former) of allowing you to adjust the height of the cone during the process. This is especially desirable when cones are lower than the rim of the basket, as in the case of these woofers.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, harry398 said:

Roy,

Would you explain how to properly adjust the cone height?

Thank you

Harry

Hi Harry,

Along with centering the cone, the shims simply allow you to manipulate the height of the cone to make gluing and foam positioning easier. As a guide, try to visually get the spider to be as level as possible during the process.

Roy

Roy's got you lined up.  When I did mine the shims allow you to raise the cone so the foam actually reaches the rim ring.

Many are able to cut all but a sliver of the dustcap edge and ply it open so it can be glued back down when done as original, but be careful.

Archived