Thanks to the regular contributors, KLH 23

David Boyd

I am new to the forum.  Just wanted to thank those who give their time to helping others.  One of the tweeters on my set of 23's went quiet.  I found and followed the instructions to recap.  I used Dayton 4mfd from parts express.  Also got the surround sealer from Vintage AR while I was at it.  43 years ago my wife to be gave these to me.  I have used them regularly all these years but sound degrades slowly.  The refresh was most delightful, warm and mellow but better treble presence now.  Drive them through a Pioneer SX727 also with me from new, and a Pioneer PL12D turntable.  While at it I refoamed a pair of Advent Prodigy Towers and JBL L60T.  All projects went well.  You contributors know who you are, much thanks from a newbie.. image.jpg

Welcome to "active" membership David.

I've never had a pair of Twenty-Threes but some fellow KLH lovers say these are some of the best KLH ever made. Glad to hear you've rejuvenated them! Nice vintage system you have there!

-Kent

Great story, and very similar to what I experienced with diminishing sound quality of AR-4x's over the course of 35+ years before I re-capped them. And I love some of that early 70's Pioneer gear, including the two pieces mentioned by the OP.

Thats a nice combo with those Pioneer pieces David, congrats.

Have you ever had or needed to have anything done to the 727?  I drive my KLH Model fives with a 737 in the master bedroom and the do well together.  My son has a 636 driving some AR18s and has similar results.  Both simply got teh Deoxit treatment and have been great since.

5 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Thats a nice combo with those Pioneer pieces David, congrats.

Have you ever had or needed to have anything done to the 727?  I drive my KLH Model fives with a 737 in the master bedroom and the do well together.  My son has a 636 driving some AR18s and has similar results.  Both simply got teh Deoxit treatment and have been great since.

Just the Deoxit treatments.  Had the 727 from new and bought an 828 about 12 years ago.  Both are fine.  Drive th KLH' and JBL' with the 727 at home and Klipschs with the 828 at the lake house.  Friends do really notice the vintage functioning stuff.  I collect old cars too. Love to drive them.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived