Foam fill replacement for large powered advents

srkitchens

Replaced 2lb of dry rotted acoustic foam (nasty sticky mess) with 2lb of unbacked R30 pink insulation.  Sound has actually improved (I speculate because the foam "dust" and chunks were pooling between the speaker frame and the cone).

Still looking for a recommendation on a foam that can be used near the electronics (looking at one of the amp boards revealed a repair from past fire inside the cabinet).

Welcome srkitchens

I think the fiberglass is the best bet. I replaced the foam in my OLAs with fiberglass and IIRC that's what Carl recommended. Those Powered Advents are pretty rare! Good luck with them!

-Kent

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very happy with how the units sound when filled with fiberglass.  I plan on posting images of the foam that was in the Powered unit and some I found in non powered units.  The Powered unit contained a rigid black foam that was turning into a sticky dust.  The others (two pair of Original Walnut with an A2 and a single Utility speaker with an U4 serial numbers) all contained a softer yellow foam.  None of the Yellow foam appeared to be failing.  I would have expected the Powered and the Utility to be approximately the same age.

Archived