AR Environmental Partners

bigx5murf

I found a pair of these thrift shopping, and thought they'd go great in my home theater setup (AR holographic imaging M2 + AR MC1 center), as rear surrounds. They're built like rocks, with what looks like automotive quality wrinkle paint job.

But they need some work, I can see through the grill, the foam surrounds rotted. But I have no idea what size surrounds, they look like they might be the same woofers inside my MC1 center. I have can't figure out how to remove the grills. Also, they look like they're supposed to have some sort of brackets. Could use some ideas on how to wall mount these, or where to get the brackets they're supposed to use.20170202_233827_zps7karirn2.jpg

20170202_234850_zpsvrkbvuqo.jpg

20170202_234905_HDR_zpslsc9rdou.jpg

fashion a couple of small hooks from wire and gently pull...the grills are probably a friction fit and pop right out like my holographic imaging M5's did.  I'm assuming the drivers are probably the same 4" units in the "fun partners"

as far as mounting......throwing darts, but the size and "thread" in that bore makes me wonder if a broom handle has the same thread....as an alternative, measure the ID of the hole, try find an expansion plug that will fit

like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-02603?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-dorman&gclid=CJqapJ6Q9NECFQYwaQod-i4D7A

and then fashion an "L" bracket with a hole in it that the bolt for the expansion plug can fit through?

Welcome bigx5murf!

Those are nice little speakers. I worked on the similar Powered Partners a few years back. They were also sold as Rock Partners (a propos of your "built like rocks" comment). So do a search on those terms. There are a few threads here.

In this thread there is a description of disassembly and a link to an exploded view of similar Recoton speakers

Basically, yu have to remove all the socket head screws from the back AND 2 screws from under the rubber pad inside that pole socket pictured in your last photo.

Gotta run but will check in on your progress.

-Kent

PS: Pat was typing while I was. On the Powered Partners those grilles do not pull off. I'm assuming the Environmental Partners are the same basic construction.

-K

you're probably right....my guess is these are essentially non powered powered partners designed for outdoor use (I think the non powered powered partners were marketed as "fun partners")

A friend of mine that DJs, told me the mount looks like pro PA speaker mounts. Sent me this link for wall mounts.

https://www.adorama.com/pypstndw15.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA8dDEBRDf19yI97eO0UsSJAAY_yCSqG6LSbk-DJ0LnYk6X2uhlGj0Wq3I0nHVRSEa1Cp4GhoCD3vw_wcB

I ordered some 4" surrounds, just waiting on them for now. I'll get some disassembly pics up hopefully this weekend.

• 3 months later...

I finally got to refoaming these, life got in the way. Anyway, the two long screws holding the thing together, had what looked like drinking straws guiding them through the stuffing. Looked like someone else might've been inside before me. But I'm pretty certain I'm the first to refoam it, and the screws holding the woofer in don't have any bit marks on them. So I wonder if the factory really cut up drinking straws for assembly. I found one of the capacitors with a disconnected lead, the glue holding the cap in place gave up. But a quick drop of solder fixed that. 

Testing them out on a 50wpc jamo amp at the moment. They sound somewhat v-shaped, and are very sensitive to placement height. Too high, or too low, and they get really bright. They also get muddy with music that's too busy, like rock. They sound great with jazz and vocals though. 

I'm reconsidering using these as my rear surrounds due to the height issue. I can't have them at the same height with my current couch layout, and mounting solutions. Because of their wedged shape, I'm thinking of using these as front heights, just placing them on top of my mains, and have them aimed at the ceiling like atmos speakers.

Archived