AR-9's For Sale

tom trim

So I came across this ad on Craigslist for a rebuilt pair of AR-9's and thought I would post a link in case anyone might be interested.  The photos show that the surrounds were replaced and the crossovers were rebuilt.  The poster has multiple ads for rebuilt speakers so I guess he has some experience.  I am not a AR follower so I don't know if these are a good deal or worth the taking the risk that they were rebuilt properly.  See the link below... they are located in Williamstown, NJ.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/5949144631.html

Tom

On 1/22/2017 at 4:25 PM, Stimpy said:

The seller, Leesonic, is a member over at Audio Karma.  I great guy, that does a lot of restoration work, especially on NAD gear.  Lee has a restoration thread, at AK, for these exact speakers.

AR9LSi Restore

Thanks for the link!

I don't know if these are a good deal or worth the taking the risk that they were rebuilt properly.

I guess it's always dicey when you read that some vintage gear has been restored--gotta wonder how good the work is. My AR-91s had refoamed woofers but they were such a mess I sent them to Bill LeGall to be re-re-foamed.

But whoever is the lucky next owner of Leesonic's speakers will have excellent documentation of exactly what was done. Hey! Frank's a Jersey guy now and we know he's an AR hoarder ;) Maybe he'll snap them up.

-Kent

20 hours ago, JKent said:

Thanks for the link!

I guess it's always dicey when you read that some vintage gear has been restored--gotta wonder how good the work is. My AR-91s had refoamed woofers but they were such a mess I sent them to Bill LeGall to be re-re-foamed.

But whoever is the lucky next owner of Leesonic's speakers will have excellent documentation of exactly what was done. Hey! Frank's a Jersey guy now and we know he's an AR hoarder ;) Maybe he'll snap them up.

-Kent

Gee, I just caught this today, and thanks "JKent" for thinking of me?

Truth be told, I feel I'm maxed out these days with just too many speakers while 99% of the time I find myself listening only to my LST's as the are simply the best.

With the amount of vinyl records I have, I generally spend winter days cleaning the records. Doing that does take much time but, recently I've invested in a simple and efficient 'Ultra-Sonic' set-up and, in a period of 3 weeks, I've cleaned over 400. That includes both new inner and outer sleeves and labeled little paragraphs on 'post-its' on each disk to indicate what was done and when and it's sound quality after being listened to.

Although, cleaning records can become absolutely boring, the sonic results are worth it. Trust me!

For almost ten years I've used my faithful VPI 16.5 machine and have mastered its use and please don't tell anyone, I feel perhaps I may find it better than the ultrasonic method for a number of reasons. One is; I feel is ultrasonic may be robbing the disks of some 'sweetness' that vinyl has. Number wise, at this point I've been able to clean about 12 an hour which is two disks more than what I can accomplish with the VPI machine.

I've done comparative tests between both machines and I'm finding that although the 'ultra' seems to be much easier in operation, the VPI machine is giving me the satisfaction of adjusting the individual amount of attention that each record may require, whereas the 'ultra' machine is of a 'one-size-fits-all' pace.

Sonically, I prefer the VPI because, and don't quote me here; it seemingly does not 'shave-off' some of the 'air' inherent on vinyl disks whereas the 'ultra' seems to clean so well, some of that vinyl 'magic' seems to disappear. I could be 'seeing into' it too much perhaps but, my ears are pretty sensitive and as of late I'm leaning and may want to switch back to the old tried and true method of scrubbing my records manually.

Regarding those speakers; please, I'm already months and more behind my restoration schedule, plus there isn't anymore room left as there are now speakers in every room except the bathrooms and kitchen.

FM

Archived