Model 5's - Putting them back together details

Duckhaven

I have installed the new capacitors and as soon as I get my shipment of sealant from Vintage AR I plan to put my Model Five's back together.  I have two questions and I tried to find some help on the forum, but no luck.  So, first, on the terminal plate.  I've seen photos online where the plate appears to have been stuck very securely to the cabinet, so much so that the particleboard crumbled and some of it stayed on the plate.  In my case, the plate sort of popped loose and came away neatly.  It looks like it had been glued in some manner.  Here's is my first question, when I put it back together, should I use some glue?  I would like to be able to take it apart again, but I am worried it might buzz if I don't secure it in some manner.  What's the prevailing thought?  My second question pertains to gaskets on the midrange and tweeter.  If I did not loosen the screws and remove the speaker am I OK?  ... Or, should I take them apart and improve upon a dusty old 1967 gasket?  The tweeter looks like what I have on my Model 17's - a foam ring.  The mid-range seems to have it's gasket made by the dense fiber packing that is stuffed in the mid-range enclosure (I had to pop one up and take a look).  Thanks in advance!

The back plate can be sealed with your favorite sealing material and screwed back
down to make it tight as well as removable (I think! I haven't worked on a Five).

I would probably replace the foam rings on the mids and tweeters- cheap insurance
to get that good seal.

I've worked on a few Fives but it's been a while. Some have an aluminum plate with point-to-point wiring, later ones have a pcb. I used thin weatherstrip gasket. Then there's not problem removing them again. You could also use Mortite, duct seal or woofer gasket.

Those foam gaskets should probably be replaced. You can get foam sheets from a craft store and cut your own. https://www.michaels.com/creatology-foam-sheet-12x18/M10597609.html

Once that white foam is squished it's pretty well shot. If you are absolutely sure the mids and tweets have not been disturbed and the gaskets look OK you may be able to leave them. But the Fives are very sensitive to air leaks. That's why you should seal the cloth surrounds with Roy's sealant (sold by Vintage AR). Check the woofer for a slow return if pushed in. If it pops right back out there's a leak somewhere.

-Kent

Thanks for the replies.  I will plan on new gaskets for the mids and tweeters.  With regard to the back plate, I tried to sketch up how it looks.  While I could get some screws on the exposed corners, the other corners are buried under the u-shaped aluminum plate.  I think I might just go back in with some glue.  While I like the option of easy disassembly, it's not likely I will get back into them again .. providing everything works out as planned!

Archived