Are these genuine AR 10pi or replicas?

Patagorda

Hi David,

The answer is no, they aren't Replicas. The AR 10 PI showed in the pictures you posted are  the so called "MKII" version (which had a black ID plate). Though the photos are not clear and focused, the woofers do seem not original but Tonegen replacements. Also one tweeter seems to be a Tonegen replacemet but the picturres are not clear enough, so I can't be totally sure.

The 10 Pi Replicas only had Tonegen drivers an never had a sticker with a serial number. They are very rare and, as far as I know they were never exported to the USA.

In the previous pages of this thread I posted a link to an old thread I originally wrote in 2003 about the story of the AR 10 Pi Replicas. There are also some photos.

Luigi

1 hour ago, DavidR said:

OK, thanks fedeleluigi

What drivers were used prior to Tonegen? Did AR manufacture their own?

Hi David,

Yes, they were the same drivers used by the AR-11 and the last version of the AR-3a. The 2nd iteration of the AR-11 and 10pi had essentially the same midrange, but the metal screen was silver colored and the fiberglass pad was pink (A.14 on page 30 of the 3a restoration guide in the Library). AR did not begin using Tonegen drivers until well into the 80's.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all, Just signed up after finding this thread while doing some research on my system.

Since this is an older thread I wanted to ask first if there are still people around that could help identify / date / inform me about my pair of AR 10 Pi speakers?

If so, I will get some photos and whatever else is needed.

Thanks.